A hospital stay can be an intimidating, stressful experience for a child, parents and siblings. That's why Swedish has taken extra steps to create a soothing, inviting and pleasant environment for young patients and their families.
In addition to our 24-bed inpatient pediatric unit, the Swedish First Hill campus features a 6 bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for young medical and surgical patients. A full-time pediatric intensivist and board-certified pediatric hospitalists provide round-the-clock care. The entire staff of pediatric specialists is also readily available to share their expertise whenever the need arises.
- In-house pediatric intensive-care physicians and hospital-based pediatricians (pediatric hospitalists) available round the clock to care for children.
- Child-life specialists who are always ready to help patients and parents with the stress of a hospital stay.
- More than 400 other staff, including pediatric physician specialists, R.N.s and technicians who are dedicated to pediatric care.
- A 24-bed inpatient unit -This unit is located on a dedicated floor in a separate wing of Swedish's First Hill campus. It offers large and friendly private rooms, with a place for parents to sleep. It also offers comfortable, separate rooms for procedures, and a special waiting room for families is just down the hall.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) - This is where Swedish provides intensive care for young medical and surgical patients. A full-time pediatric intensivist and pediatric hospitalists - specially trained, board-certified pediatricians - provide round-the-clock care. What's more, the entire staff of pediatric specialists is readily available to share their expertise whenever the need arises.
- Medical Imaging Unit - If your child needs an MRI, CT scan, ultrasound or other type of medical imaging, we have designed a room especially to help our younger patients feel more comfortable. In addition, our child-life specialists are available to help guide your child through what might be an intimidating experience.
- Emergency Department - If your child needs emergent care, Swedish offers an emergency room uniquely designed and equipped to treat kids of all ages, from newborns to young adults. With its own family-friendly waiting room and bedside check-in for quicker treatment, you can avoid the commotion of the adult ER. In addition, the pediatric emergency department is staffed with fellowship-trained, board-certified pediatric medical and surgical specialists who are prepared to treat any and every child. Learn more.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) - Reserved for premature babies or critically ill newborns, Swedish offers the largest and most comprehensive neonatal department in the state. Neonatologists - physicians who are specially trained to take care of high-risk newborns - are in the hospital 24 hours each day. The neonatal intensive care unit is one of the few Level III nurseries in Puget Sound, and is fully staffed and equipped to care for the tiniest, most fragile patients.
- Infant Special Care Unit (ISCU) - This unit operates as a step-down unit for the neonatal intensive-care unit (NICU), as well as a Level II nursery. A staff of expert registered nurses provides 24-hour care, while the NICU physicians constantly check in.
- Severe respiratory illness including asthma, pneumonia and RSV
- Viral and bacterial meningitis
- Post-surgery patients requiring closer monitoring
Our experienced, board-certified neonatologists are experts in the care of high-risk newborns and are supported by a highly skilled team of pediatric doctors. We also work closely with nurses, clinical nutrition specialists, pharmacists, physical therapists and respiratory therapists. Our excellent pediatric surgeons are also available should the need for surgery arise.
Our Level II Intermediate Care Unit is our "step-down" phase from the NICU--a nursery for newborns who were once critically ill but now ready for less-intensive care. The NICU delivers round-the-clock personalized care and ensures a seamless transition from the NICU. This nursery is also available to non-NICU babies who need special care. Shared kitchen and quiet spaces, along with our child-life specialists, help parents adjust to having a sick or premature baby.
Environment Makes Families Feel at Home. We've designed our pediatric units to be as comfortable as possible, not only for your child, but for you and the rest of your family.
To make sure each child feels safe and secure in his or her hospital room, we perform all types of procedures in a special “Treatment Room.” After a procedure, which can be painful or scary, children leave the room and return to the comfort and safety of their own room.
The unit also includes a play room filled with toys for all ages including a comfortable family room equipped with a television, telephone, and computer.
In each room on the pediatric units, you’ll find a cot, pull-out chair, or window bed with extra linens so you can sleep near your child. Each room also has its own DVD player, with access to a library of free movies to borrow. Portable game systems are also available, along with highchairs, rocking chairs, wagons, tricycles and infant swings. If it helps ease your child’s anxieties, we also encourage you to bring familiar items from home.
Additionally, we offer a variety of other services and materials to make your stay as comfortable as possible, including:
- A la Carte dining service offers a wide variety of menu selections delivered to your bedside on demand. At First Hill hours of service are: 6:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Access to a refrigerator
- Free children’s books
- Visits by gentle service dogs
- Personalized family care packages
- Extra diapers, formula and other necessities