This page describes information collected on this website.
There are Two Types of Information Collected on this Website
Personally Identifiable Information
In some instances, the Swedish Medical Center (SMC) Web site collects personally identifiable information (such as email address, name, phone number, etc.) This information is only collected when volunteered by the user – for example, when completing a newsletter subscription request form or registering for a class.
Non-personally Identifiable Information
This site also collects non-personally identifiable user information, such as Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, cookies, Internet tags and navigational data (server log files). This information is used for system management and to improve the content and navigation of the site.
We do not match personally identifiable information with non-personally identifiable information. In other words, we do not link personal information (name, etc.) with visit information, such as pages visited or files downloaded. In effect, all such visit information is anonymous.
Use of Information
We will use the information you submit to improve the SMC Web site and to better provide news on SMC services and health-related news that may be of interest to you. You will only receive e-mail from us for information you have requested or as confirmation of information that you submitted (i.e. class registration). You may opt-out of receiving information from SMC at any time by following the unsubscribe information provided in the e-mail or newsletter, or in writing by contacting:
Swedish Medical Center Marketing Communications
Seattle, WA 98122
Providence/Swedish Mobile App
Your Personal Information
The Limited Ways We Use Your Information
We do not sell or license your information. These are the limited ways we interact with your information in connection with our mobile apps:
- Our mobile app lets users who are Providence patients access the information stored in their electronic health record (EHR) managed by Epic’s software, including medications, test results and visit summaries. The app also lets patients send messages, schedule appointments, and check-in online.
- When you choose to add a profile photo to our mobile apps, you may select an existing photo on your device or take a new photo using the camera app on your device. If you select an existing photo on your device, we store a copy of your chosen photo in app-private storage on your device. If you use the camera app on your device to take a new photo, the photo you take is first saved to your camera app and then also saved to app-private storage on your device. If you remove the photo from your profile or delete our mobile apps, the copy of the photo is deleted from the app-private storage, but the photo saved to your camera app remains available in your camera app until you choose to delete it.
- When you choose to view documents (such as letters or images) using our mobile app, to make the files viewable for you we temporarily store copies on your device in app-private storage. The temporary copies are deleted when you close your session on our mobile apps.
- If you choose automatic appointment arrival and you choose to enable it, we temporarily store identifiers and times for your upcoming appointments in app-private storage to detect when you arrive for an upcoming appointment. If you choose to stop using our mobile app or disable automatic appointment arrival, the identifiers are deleted.
- If you choose location-based check in for in-person appointments, or to find health care providers near you, you may choose to allow our mobile app to interact with your location data for those purposes.
- If you choose to notify front desk staff electronically when you arrive for an appointment, you may choose to allow our mobile app to interact with your Bluetooth data for this purpose.
- Our mobile app will ask for access to File, Photos and Media to allow users who are Providence patients to upload or download documents and message attachments in correspondence with the patient’s health care team. Providence stores uploaded documents in your electronic medical record.
- Our mobile app will ask for access to camera and microphone to allow users who are Providence patients to access video-based virtual care with their health care provider. No audio or video is recorded during these visits.
- Our mobile app uses phone number to send patients an SMS to confirm your phone number.
- Our mobile app will ask for access to wi-fi and cellular data connection to monitor the connection status during a virtual care visit and to better optimize your experience with your provider.
- We have an option to delete the user account within the app as requested by Apple Store Guideline 5.1.1. As a result of account deletion via our mobile app, your medical record will not be deleted by Providence and will remain available through Epic EHR. Users who are patients can always re-create a new account within our mobile app to re-obtain access to your medical records.
- While you use our app, we collect non-identifying information so we can provide customer service to you to understand how people use our mobile app so we can improve our products. This information includes the time you began using the app, any error messages or codes, the model of device used and its operating system, and the version of our mobile app used. If you use Android devices, we also collect your connection type (cellular or Wi-Fi) during an error.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of the communication. You can decide how much information you want to share with us in those cases.
For Android Users – Required Google Play Disclosures for Certain Health Apps
Google has determined our mobile app is subject to their COVID-19 apps requirements. As a result, we are required to provide the following information so we can make our mobile app available to you in the Play store:
- Our mobile app interacts with your microphone if you choose to use your microphone to navigate our mobile apps. Our mobile app interacts with your camera roll if you choose to add a profile photo to a profile in our mobile apps. This information is not used in connection with COVID-19.
- Our mobile app accesses, collects, uses and shares your information as stated above in the section titled “The Limited Ways We Use Your Information.”
- Our mobile app was not created specifically for the COVID-19 pandemic. It existed before the COVID-19 pandemic to allow you to access your health information on file with your health care organization. We may allow you to access COVID-19-related vaccination information, laboratory test results and documents with illness-related information using our mobile apps. You may choose if or how you want to access, display or use the information – just like you can make those decisions about health information relating to other conditions, services, tests or vaccinations.
Information Disclosure Policy
Any personally identifiable information you submit to us on any survey, class or event registration, Web site feedback form, or for any other form is for exclusive use by SMC or other entities that are involved in the operation or fulfillment purposes of this site. It will not be shared with any other party, except if required by law.
We do not sell, trade or rent personal information about our users.
Acceptance of These Terms
Links to Other Web Sites
Adherence to Principles
If at any time you believe this site has not adhered to these principles, please notify us by email and we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and correct the problem.