Tests and Procedures During Pregnancy
If you’re having a high-risk pregnancy, your OB/GYN will monitor you closely for potential problems or complications. Prenatal tests and procedures will help get as much information about you and your baby.
While many of these pose little or no risk, some types of testing and procedures do carry some risk to you, your baby, or both. If you’re offered prenatal testing, discuss the following with your OB/GYN:
• Why is the test/procedure needed?
• What information will it provide?
• What are the benefits?
• What are the risks, if any?
• Are there alternative tests or procedures?
• Who will perform the test and where will it be done?
• How long until we get the results?
• Will the results require additional test/procedure?
• Based on the results, what will my options be?
• What are my options if I don’t choose to have the test/procedure?