We work to ensure that all of our patients and visitors are able to communicate clearly and comfortably with their caregivers. The following services are available to assist patients and their family members who are deaf, hard of hearing or deaf-blind, or who have limited English proficiency. Please share your specific need and preferred form of communication at the time you schedule an appointment or when you arrive at Swedish.
This website meets the internationally recognized standards of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which includes accessibility for people with auditory, visual, neurological, cognitive, speech, physical and other disabilities.
Linguistic Services Department
Seattle, WA 98122
Office hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Swedish Edmonds campus phone: 425-640-4444
Please reference our menu of assistive devices and notify staff of your special need when you schedule an appointment or visit Swedish.
To assist you in your communication needs, we have a number of assistive aids and services. To request these services, ask any caregiver.
- Portable telecommunication devices (TDD's) and Hospital Kits that include a TDD/TTY Text telephone, a telephone hand-set amplifier, a PocketTalker personal amplifier with headphones, a door beacon light, and an alarm clock with vibrator
- Baby-cry signalers that include a transmitter and two-way receivers for inpatient mothers in Labor and Delivery
- Sign-language and Lip Reader interpreters for people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing
- Tactile interpreters for people who are deaf-blind
- On-site and telephonic language interpretation services
- Signage and patient materials translated into several languages
- Closed-captioned television
- Braille signage for offices, bathrooms, and elevators
- Assistance in reading patient consent forms and materials
- Wheelchair accessibility, and assistance as needed
- Accessible disabled parking
- Other assistance as requested
In association with the Hearing Loss Association of Washington, Swedish has developed a Hospital Kit for Patients with Hearing Loss for patients with special communication needs that includes communication aids, information brochures, signage and alert cards to give to your providers. Please feel free to request a Hospital Kit when you arrive for your stay.
For any other services or special requests, please call us.
If you speak a language other than English and need the assistance of an interpreter, please notify Swedish staff. You may also call 206-386-6000, state your language, and the Swedish operator will connect you to a telephonic interpreter who will assist you with your request. Patients with hearing loss may also call the TDD/TTY line at 206-386-2022.
Before you arrive, you may wish to print a Communication Alert sign to bring with you, and use to notify and alert staff of your individual communication needs. Please tell us of any special need you may have and we will address it.