Genetic Counseling and Testing
Prenatal genetic counseling and testing aims to help you make sense of what can sometimes be complex and confusing medical information.
With recent advances, there are many genetic testing options during pregnancy. Through counseling, you may feel more educated about declining genetic testing. The discussion can help you be more prepared through:
- Discussion of the pros and cons of prenatal genetic testing options during and before pregnancy
- Personal guidance on test decision-making through test results
- Patient-friendly explanations of complex medical information
- Guidance to make informed, independent decisions about your health care and reproductive options
- Resources and educational materials
If you choose to continue with genetic testing, your provider may recommend genetic carrier testing, which is a blood test to check if you or the father are a genetic disease carrier or unlikely to be a carrier. Learn more about carrier screening.