Swedish has performed more than 46,000 cardiac surgeries, making us the most experienced heart surgery program in the Seattle area. Our team of interventional and cardiovascular surgeons is nationally recognized, and includes experts in the latest minimally invasive and robotic heart-valve procedures.
Swedish currently has five high-tech operating rooms, among the most advanced in the country, including a new, state-of-the-art hybrid OR which enables our interventionalists and heart surgeons to work side by side, giving our patients the finest possible care.
Artificial hearts are mechanical devices that can be connected directly to a failing heart to help it pump blood through the body.
Atrial Fibrillation Treatment
Atrial fibrillation is a rapid and disorganized heartbeat that may cause everything from heart failure to stroke.
Cardiac Bypass Surgery
Cardiac bypass surgery involves using some of the most advanced surgical techniques available, such as minimally invasive, videoscopic-assisted valve repair and replacement.
Congenital Heart Surgery for Adults
Congenital heart disease is a defect in one or more structures of the heart or blood vessels that occurs before birth, while the fetus is still developing.
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Surgery
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a type of heart disease marked by thickening of the heart muscle and other changes. In a surgical procedure called a septal myectomy, Swedish cardiac surgeons remove a small amount of the thickened septal wall to widen the path the blood takes from the left ventricle to the aorta.
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a method used to replace a heart valve without using traditional open-heart surgery.
Depending on a patient’s individual circumstances, heart-valve disease can be treated in a variety of ways, including heart-valve surgery.
At the Swedish Heart & Vascular Institute, each of our surgeons has well over a dozen years of heart-surgery experience. Our cardiac-surgery team is committed to providing you with optimal long-term results and keeping your best interests in mind during every medical decision and every procedure.
As a patient you will receive a printed Navigation Guide booklet. It contains information about the hospital, how to prepare, what to expect during your stay and care at home.
Watch the navigation guide video
Call our clinic to refer a patient for heart surgery. Referring your patients to the Swedish Heart and Vascular Institute gives them access to:
- The highest volume program in the Greater Seattle area performing heart surgery
- Dedicated cardiac surgeons who specialize in cardiac surgery, and that’s all they do – they do not perform thoracic or vascular surgery
- Robotic heart surgery
- Minimally invasive heart surgery
- Stentless valve surgery
- Total arterial revascularization – using only arteries (not veins) to revascularize the heart
- Exceptionally high level of personal care
- Education and support
Our care team accepts patient transfers 24/7 from providers and hospitals throughout the Pacific Northwest. To facilitate an urgent patient transfer, call the Swedish Transfer Center: 1-866-470-4233.
- U.S. News & World Report 2023-24 High-Performing Hospital for Aortic Valve Surgery
- U.S. News & World Report 2023-24 High-Performing Hospital for Heart Attack
- U.S. News & World Report 2023-24 High-Performing Hospital for Heart Bypass Surgery
- U.S. News & World Report 2023-24 High-Performing Hospital for Heart Failure
- U.S. News & World Report 2023-24 High-Performing Hospital for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)