Are you covered?
Check to see if your insurance is covered by this provider.
About Stephen Monteith
Dr. Monteith's philosophy of care is to approach the care of each of his patients as if they were a member of his own family. He strives to give his patients the best possible outcome by combining the latest technological advances with personalized clinical care. When possible, he uses endovascular or minimally invasive surgical approaches, so that his patients can recover from their procedure and get back to their normal lives as soon as possible.
Auckland City Hospital, New Zealand
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Endovascular Neurosurgery (interventional neuroradiology)
University of VirginiaMedical School
University of Auckland Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), 2.Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), 3.New Zealand Medical Council (NZMC)
- American Board of Neurological Surgery, Neurological Surgery
- American Board of Surgery, Neurological Surgery
- A Brain Surgery Revolution: Using Sound Instead of Scalpels
- Down syndrome associated moyamoya may worsen epilepsy control and can benefit from surgical revascularization.
- Atraumatic Vertebral Arteriovenous Fistula: A Rare Entity with Two Case Reports.
- Incidentally Found Double Aortic Arch While Treating Posterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery Aneurysm: Conversion from Femoral to Radial Artery Access.
- Internal Thoracic Artery to Middle Cerebral Artery Bypass Surgery: Cadaveric Feasibsility Study.
- Preoperative relative cerebral blood volume analysis in gliomas predicts survival and mitigates risk of biopsy sampling error.
- Interhospital Transfer Before Thrombectomy Is Associated With Delayed Treatment and Worse Outcome in the STRATIS Registry (Systematic Evaluation of Patients Treated With Neurothrombectomy Devices for Acute Ischemic Stroke).
- Systematic Evaluation of Patients Treated With Neurothrombectomy Devices for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Primary Results of the STRATIS Registry.
- Aortic arch origin of the left vertebral artery: An Anatomical and Radiological Study with Significance for Avoiding Complications with Anterior Approaches to the Cervical Spine.
- Arterial variations around the atlas: a comprehensive review for avoiding neurosurgical complications.
- Transcranial magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound for temporal lobe epilepsy: a laboratory feasibility study.
- Commentary on: "Vertebral Artery Injury during Routine Posterior Cervical Exposure: Case Reports and Review of Literature".
- Developments in Neurovascular Diseases and Treatments.
- Advances in neurovascular treatments.
- Potential of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound for intracranial hemorrhage: an in vivo feasibility study.
- The use of adenosine in the treatment of a high-flow vein of Galen malformation in an adult.
- Endovascular treatment of fusiform cerebral aneurysms with the Pipeline Embolization Device.
- Imaging findings in MR imaging-guided focused ultrasound treatment for patients with essential tremor.
- A pilot study of focused ultrasound thalamotomy for essential tremor.
- Safety and pharmacokinetics of sodium nitrite in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage: a phase IIa study.
- Modern intraoperative imaging modalities for the vascular neurosurgeon treating intracerebral hemorrhage
- Minimally invasive treatment of intracerebral hemorrhage with magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound
- Minimally invasive treatment of intracerebral hemorrhage with magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound.
- Transcranial magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery for trigeminal neuralgia: a cadaveric and laboratory feasibility study.
- Potential intracranial applications of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery.
- Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery: Part 2: A review of current and future applications.
- Use of the histological pseudocapsule in surgery for Cushing disease: rapid postoperative cortisol decline predicting complete tumor resection.
- Optimal imaging of in vitro clot sonothrombolysis by MR-guided focused ultrasound.
- Gamma Knife Surgery for Pediatric Arteriovenous Malformations – A Review
- Trans sodium crocetinate: functional neuroimaging studies in a hypoxic brain tumor.
- Gamma Knife surgery for arteriovenous malformations.
- Gamma Knife Surgery for Pediatric Arteriovenous Malformations
- Recurrent astroblastoma treated with gamma knife radiosurgery
- Endovascular treatment or neurosurgical clipping of ruptured intracranial aneurysms: effect on angiographic vasospasm, delayed ischemic neurological deficit, cerebral infarction, and clinical outcome.
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia: the impact of magnetic resonance imaging-detected vascular impingement of the affected nerve.
- Nailed: the case of 24 self-inflicted nails from a neumatic nailgun.
- A review of the therapeutic strategies for the management of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.
- Acute hydrocephalus secondary to herpes simplex type II meningitis.
- Cell cycle times of short-term cultures of brain cancers as predictors of survival.
- Penetrating head injury from nailguns: a case series from New Zealand.
- Encephalocoele – epidemiological variance in New Zealand.
- Characterization of genetically defined types of Charcot-Marie-Tooth neuropathies by using magnetic resonance neurography.
- Spontaneous spinal hematomas and low-molecular weight heparin.
- Paediatric brain tumours in a New Zealand population: A 10 year experience of changing epidemiology, management strategies and outcomes.
- NewDay NW - Augmented Reality for Pre-Surgical Planning
550 17th Avenue, Suite 110
Seattle, WA 98122
550 17th Avenue, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98122
751 Northeast Blakely Drive, Suite 4020
Issaquah, WA 98029
550 17th Avenue, Suite 540
Seattle, WA 98122
550 17th Avenue, Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98122
Swedish Cherry Hill
Swedish First Hill
In his free time, Dr. Monteith enjoys Classical and Jazz piano, snowboarding, tennis and golf.
At Swedish, we're dedicated to providing you quality, personalized health care. We are constantly striving to optimize your experience.
As part of ensuring you have a positive experience with Swedish, our online provider directory includes ratings and patient comments for select providers. More about our survey.
Great facility and oeople
Working on solutions to my problem as a team and I'm on the team. Thanks!
Dr. Monteith is very knowledgeable and respectful. I am happy he is my doctor.
Dr Monteith is amazing best doctor I've ever had!!!
Care provider was thorough but I needed more answers and that was my fault for not asking more questions.
This being the first experience with Swedish, I was very impressed. I was referred to Swedish by Kaiser and the referral process was seamless. My my initial office visit with Dr Monteith was comfortable, informative and professional. Great team!!
Knowledgeable, thorough and explained my concerns in understandable terms
Dr Monteith gave me information that brought me peace .
I was very pleased with the care I received during my visit. Everyone was very helpful and kind
Every single aspect of this visit was amazing. From meeting the receptionist to leaving with all pre-op bloodwork, EKG and other test finished was 2.5 hours. This includes an extremely thorough discussion with the doctor about the surgery that I needed, his insurance/scheduling assistant, the nurse which provided all pre-op instructions and the amazing lab workers. Never been in a medical facility where everything worked like a well oiled machine with such good communication.Surgery is scheduled for as soon as possible based on expectations of insurance approval
Dr and ALL supporting staff are kind and courteous
I had a great experience with Dr. Monteith
Dr Montieth is a superb doctor. Through, knowledgeable, sensitive and caring. I'm fortunate to have him as my surgeon.
I was treated with respect and all my questions were answered
Dr. Monteith is an excellent surgeon, knowledgeable, professional, and relates to his patients very well. If it wasn't for his surgical plan , I feel I would be paralyzed.
Dr Montieth has been amazing for me. He is the best.
Awesome experience- thank you
Dr Monteith is the best I highly recommend
I am very happy with my experience with my doctor and the surgical team and nursing staff.
It was my second time to see him. When I saw him for the first time ,he left me a good impression. But this time he sounded irritated and sloppyMaybe he was very busy because he looked like he was ready for an operation or something
Dr. Stephen Monteith is exceptional.
Really appreciated the thorough explanation of my scan results, possible diagnosis, and ongoing treatment options.
I have confidence in my care
Outstanding doctor . I felt I had the very best care.
This was a post surgical checkup with a follow up MRI. And there is nothing bad to say about Dr Monteith or Swedish. All my experiences have been professional, caring and successful. Dr Monteith and his team are approachable and understanding at all times. This is why I've chosen and always will choose Swedish.
Dr. Montieth was far ahead of other NS staff who I've seen in the past. He seamlessly shared the MRA screens via zoom that helped me to understand what he was discussing and recommending for TX. He answered my questions and agreed to keep my care for follow up in one year. Very professional and kind.
Dr. Monteith and his staff are very professional and personable. My questions are promptly answered whether inperson or in MY CHART
Dr Monteith has been my "best friend" since my coiling in 2017. I am so thankful he is my doctor! He answers all my questions in a way I understand and with patience.
An excellent provider.
Great faith in Dr. Monteith!
Responded quickly to emergency-
Dr. Monteith is excellent in every way: a surgeon who saved my life 7 years ago, a surgeon who takes interest in me as a person.
My care provider was really instrumental in getting me I. Immediately for a condition just discovered
Happy with everything good experience
Dr. Monteith saved my life. There's not much more to say.
- Abducens Nerve Injury
- Abnormal Vertebrae
- Accessory Nerve Disease
- Accessory Nerve Injury
- Acoustic Nerve Injury
- Acoustic Neurofibromatosis
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Acoustic Neuroma Removal
- Acute Back Pain
- Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy
- Arachnoid Cyst
- Arnold Chiari Malformation
- Arteriovenous Fistula
- Arteriovenous Malformation (Avm)
- Astrocytoma Tumors
- Back Muscle Pain
- Back Pain
- Back Surgery
- Benign Neoplasm Of Brain
- Berry Aneurysm
- Biopsy Of Brain
- Biopsy Of Skull
- Bone Cancer
- Bone Growth Stimulator
- Brachial Nerve Tumors
- Brachial Plexus Injury
- Brain Cancer
- Brain Laceration
- Brain Neoplasms
- Brain Perfusion Scan
- Brain Surgery
- Bulging Disc
- Burr Hole
- Carotid Artery Angioplasty
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Carotid Stenosis
- Carotid Stent
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Cavernous Hemangioma
- Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis
- Cerebellar Anomalies
- Cerebellar Tumor
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Cerebral Angiogram With Stenting
- Cerebral Angiogram With Tumor Embolization
- Cerebral Contusion
- Cerebral Cyst
- Cerebral Decompression
- Cerebral Edema
- Cerebral Hemorrhage
- Cerebral Hernia
- Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak
- Cerebrovascular Accident (Cva)
- Cervical Disc Disease
- Cervical Herniated Disc
- Cervical Laminoplasty
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Cervical Spine Fracture
- Cervical Spine Fusion
- Cervical Spine Injury
- Chiari Decompression
- Choroid Plexus Tumor
- Clipping Of Brain Aneurysm
- Clivus Chondroma
- Cns Lymphoma
- Colloid Cyst
- Compression Fracture
- Congenital Cerebral Hernia
- Congenital Hydrocephalus
- Corpus Callosotomy
- Cortical Mapping
- Cranial Flap
- Cranial Nerve Diseases
- Cranial Nerve Disorders
- Cranial Nerve Injury
- Cranial Nerve Palsy
- Cranial Nerve Repair
- Cranial Puncture
- Cranial Vault Malformations
- Cranium Bifidum
- Csf Shunt Removal
- Ct Of The Brain
- Ct Of The Cervical Spine
- Ct Of The Facial Bones
- Ct Of The Lumbar Spine
- Ct Of The Sacral Spine
- Ct Of The Soft Tissue Of The Neck
- Ct Of The Temporal Bone
- Ct Of The Thoracic Spine
- Cta Of The Head
- Cta Of The Neck
- Decompression Laminectomy
- Decompression Median Nerve At Elbow
- Degenerative Spine Conditions
- Disc Arthroplasty
- Disc Surgery
- Dorsal Column Stimulator
- Dural Graft Of The Spine
- Dural Sinus Thrombosis
- Electrical Sacral Stimulation
- Embryonal Cell Tumors Of The Brain
- Encephalocele Repair
- Endonasal Transsphenoidal Approach
- Endoscopic Neurosurgery
- Endovascular Coiling Of Aneurysm
- Epidermoid Cysts
- Epidural Hematoma
- Epidural Hemorrhage
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Extradural Abscess
- Facial Nerve Injury
- Facial Pain
- Facial Spasm
- Flow Diversion For Cerebral Aneurysms
- Gamma Knife
- Germ Cell Tumor
- Gliomatosis Cerebri
- Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
- Head Reconstruction
- Hearing Loss
- Herniated Disc
- Herniation Syndrome
- Hypoglossal Nerve Disease
- Hypoglossal Nerve Injury
- Intracranial Abscess
- Intracranial Angioplasty
- Intracranial Arterial Bypass
- Intracranial Arterial Occlusion
- Intracranial Artery Stenosis
- Intracranial Hemangioma
- Intracranial Hemorrhage
- Intracranial Hypertension
- Intracranial Mass
- Intraoperative Mri
- Intraspinal Abscess
- Leg Numbness
- Leg Weakness
- Lesions Of Median Nerve
- Lesions Of Popliteal Nerve
- Lesions Of Posterior Tibial Nerve
- Lesions Of Sciatic Nerve
- Lesions Of Ulnar Nerve
- Lobectomy Of Brain
- Low Back Surgery
- Lower Back Injury
- Lower Back Pain
- Lumbar Drain
- Lumbar Puncture
- Lumbar Spine Fusion
- Lumboperitoneal Shunt Placement
- Lumbosacral Plexus Lesions
- Lumbosacral Radiculopathy
- Malignant Neoplasm Of Brain Stem
- Malignant Neoplasm Of Cerebellum
- Malignant Neoplasm Of Frontal Lobe
- Malignant Neoplasm Of The Spinal Cord
- Meningioma Of The Spine
- Metastatic Brain Cancer
- Microvascular Decompression
- Migraine Surgery
- Migraine Treatment
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Mra Of The Head
- Mra Of The Neck
- Mri Of The Brachial Plexus
- Mri Of The Brain
- Mri Of The Cervical Spine
- Mri Of The Lumbar Spine
- Mri Of The Sacral Spine
- Mri Of The Thoracic Spine
- Myelopathy Surgery
- Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma
- Neck Arthritis
- Neck Pain
- Needle Biopsy Of Brain
- Needle Biopsy Of Cerebral Meninges
- Neoplasm Of Brain Stem
- Neuroectodermal Tumor
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Neurogenic Claudication
- Neuronal Glial Tumors
- Non Ruptured Cerebral Aneurysm
- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
- Oculomotor Nerve Injury
- Olfactory Nerve Disease
- Olfactory Neuroblastoma
- Open Biopsy Of Brain
- Optic Chiasm Injury
- Optic Nerve And Pathway Injury
- Optic Nerve Decompression
- Optic Nerve Glioma
- Optic Nerve Injury
- Optic Nerve Sheath Meningioma
- Optic Nerve Surgery
- Orbital Nerve Decompression
- Parkinson's Disease (Pd) Surgery
- Percutaneous Trigeminal Rhizotomy
- Peripheral Nerve Injury
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- Peripheral Nerve Tumors
- Peripheral Schwannoma
- Periventricular Mass
- Personal History Of Malignant Neoplasm Of Brain
- Petrous Apex Tumor
- Pilocytic Astrocytoma
- Pineal Tumor
- Pituitary Adenoma
- Pituitary Tumor
- Post Laminectomy Kyphosis
- Post Laminectomy Syndrome
- Pseudotumor Cerebri
- Rathke Cleft Cysts
- Repair Of Brain
- Resection Of Cerebral Arteriovenous Malformation (Avm)
- Ruptured Brain Aneurysm
- Ruptured Intervertebral Disc
- Scheuermann's Disease
- Shevel Procedure
- Skull Base Approach
- Skull Base Tumor
- Skull Fracture
- Spina Bifida
- Spinal Abscess
- Spinal Cord Anomalies
- Spinal Cord Compression
- Spinal Cord Diseases
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal Schwannoma
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal Tumor
- Spine Biopsy
- Spine Fracture
- Spine Fusion
- Spine Instrumentation
- Spine Stapling
- Spondylosis With Myelopathy
- Standard Transsphenoidal Approach
- Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Subcaudate Tractotomy
- Subdural Hematoma
- Subdural Hemorrhage
- Subpial Transection
- Surgery For Spasticity
- Surgical Treatment Of Myelopathy
- Tarlov Cyst
- Temporal Tumor
- Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome
- Thoracic Herniated Disc
- Tic Disorders
- Transpetrosal Approaches
- Trigeminal Nerve Injury
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Trochlear Nerve Injury
- Tuberous Sclerosis
- Ulnar Nerve Decompression
- Ulnar Nerve Surgery
- Ultrasound Guided Steroid Injection Of The Spine
- Vagal Nerve Stimulator
- Vagal Stimulation
- Vascular Malformations Of The Brain
- Vascular Malformations Of The Spine
- Ventricular Shunt
- Ventriculo Peritoneal Shunt
- Vertebral Epiphysitis
- Vertebral Fracture
- Vertebral Transposition
- Virtual Care
- Visual Cortex Injury
- Von Hippel Lindau Disease