LGBTQIA+ Care at Swedish
We believe everyone deserves to live their healthiest life possible
Regardless of gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation, we are here to make sure our patients get the care they need.
Our commitment to you
Established in 2020 as an initiative, Swedish’s LGBTQI+ Program uses a holistic approach to improve access to comprehensive health care that connects patients directly with experienced care teams and resources. The LGBTQI+ Program is housed in our Office of Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and is a continuation of Swedish’s commitment as part of the newly formed Providence Swedish Puget Sound Region. In addition to patient care, the Swedish LGBTQI+ Program provides specialized clinical support to our care teams to ensure our caregivers are up to date on the latest advancements and can deliver optimal care for our LGBTQIA+* patients. Meet our program team.
- We have a group of LGBTQIA+-informed providers who have undergone an LGBTQIA+ competency training. See our providers.
- Swedish primary care clinics include LGBTQIA+-informed behavioral health experts. Learn more about our behavioral health team.
Swedish offers health care navigation services for patients seeking gender-affirming care and treatments. These navigation services are a crucial step to ensuring our transgender and gender diverse patients receive relevant, competent and equitable medical care, wrap-around services and resources. Health Care Navigation support is available at no additional charge to Swedish patients.
- We connect patients to gender-affirming primary care clinicians, surgeons, mental health professionals and specialty care clinicians – both within Swedish and outside our system as needed
- We connect patients with social services and resources like food, housing, financial assistance, ID document support, legal referrals, support groups and community events
- You will receive either a phone call, email or MyChart message within 14 business days
- Timely follow-up with relevant resources
- Check-ins as requested by the patient to ensure a safe, supportive and affirming experience
- All concerns and needs addressed promptly and as they arise
Call 253-231-0888 or send us an email.
Gender-affirming care is lifesaving care. Swedish is proud to provide gender-affirming care for transgender and gender diverse individuals. Our caregivers have clinical and non-clinical transgender health training on historical context, terminology and language specific to transgender and gender diverse patient care. More than 60 Swedish clinicians have completed our non-clinical transgender health training and are listed on the Swedish Transgender Health website as gender-affirming clinicians.
Call 866-366-0926 to schedule an appointment with a primary care provider.
*We use Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, plus (LGBTQIA+) for this program. We acknowledge that the LGBTQIA+ community intersects with many other identities and that LGBTQIA+ does not capture everyone in the community nor all the identities one person may bring to Swedish.
Follow the links to learn more about: