Bariatric Surgery Accreditation
Swedish Weight Loss Services at Swedish First Hill has been designated as an Accredited Comprehensive Center for bariatric surgery by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP).
To earn and maintain this accreditation, Swedish Weight Loss Services must adhere to stringent requirements designed to provide patients high quality care throughout their weight loss surgery journey.
We perform more than 300 bariatric surgeries a year, which exceeds the minimum 125 surgery requirement for an MBSAQIP Accredited Comprehensive Center. As the largest MBSAQIP Accredited Comprehensive Center for bariatric surgery in the region, we:
- Offer ongoing weight loss education programs for patients and medical staff involved in patient care
- Designate medical directors to lead the weight loss program and have a fellowship-trained bariatric surgeon
- Ensure critical care resources are available for patients 24/7
- Procure and maintain equipment appropriate for bariatric patient care within the hospital, clinic and public areas of the hospital
- Standardize pre-operative care and bariatric surgical procedures
- Provide a dedicated medical team of providers, nurses and dietitians specializing in bariatric care
- Organize weight loss support groups
- Offer long-term follow-up care
To ensure ongoing compliance, Swedish Weight Loss Services reports clinical, process and patient outcome data to the national accreditation organization, the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
This designation shows our demonstrated track record of success and commitment to provide patients the highest quality care.