Am I a Candidate?
In general, weight loss surgery may be right for you if:
- Your body mass index (BMI) is at least 40
- Your BMI is at least 35 and you have significant weight-related medical problems, such as diabetes, heart disease or sleep apnea
Calculate your BMI.
Additionally, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- You’ve been overweight for more than five years
- You haven’t had long-term success with weight loss
- Your primary physician is willing to partner with you and your surgeon
- You’re willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle and eating habits
- You’re psychologically stable and have an adequate support system
- You don’t have any medical conditions that would deem surgery too risky
- You don’t have any untreated conditions that may have caused obesity
- You don’t smoke
- You don’t abuse drugs or alcohol
- You’re not pregnant nor do you plan to get pregnant in the near future
If you don’t meet the qualifications listed above, you may still consider a medically supervised non-surgical weight loss program. Learn more at our free seminar.