For Referring Physicians
Due to our patient volume, we are unable to take over long-term management of the pain patient, but we are happy to partner with the primary-care provider to optimize the patient's pain management and quality of life.
Click here for the referral form.
The medical professionals at Swedish Pain Services are dedicated to offering the latest state-of-the-art diagnostic and interventional pain-management therapies, medication and other non-drug therapies for:
- Acute pain (after surgery or injury)
- Chronic pain (back pain, arthritis-related pain, diabetic neuropathy, neuropathic pain, complex regional pain syndromes)
- Cancer pain
- Other disease-related pain
The following services are provided:
- Evaluation of the patient's pain and potential therapy options
- Development of a long-term treatment plan for ongoing pain management
- Follow-up consultation if the patient's pain syndrome changes and/or the treatment plan is no longer effective
- Diagnostic and therapeutic injections with or without fluoroscopic guidance
- Therapeutic procedures, such as radiofrequency neurotomy, cryo-ablation, IntraDiscal ElectroThermal TherapyTM (IDET) and nucleo-plasty, and implantable technologies, such as spinal-cord stimulators
Referring physicians and/or designated primary-care physicians should be comfortable prescribing opioids if the Swedish physician recommends their use in an ongoing pain-management plan. Due to the volume of referrals and the chronic nature of many of the pain syndromes, we no longer follow patients on a regular basis for an extended period of time, except when we have placed an implantable pain device, such as an intrathecal pump or spinal-cord stimulator.
Please note: We do not offer detoxification of patients on opioids or treat patients with substance-abuse problems unless they are concurrently in an addiction-treatment program.