Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
At Swedish, our MRI machines are designed to be less claustrophobic for patients. MRI uses radio frequency waves and a strong magnetic field rather than x-rays to provide remarkably clear and detailed pictures of internal organs and tissues. MRI is a valuable tool for the diagnosis of a broad range of conditions. A board-certified radiologist will interpret your images and create a report for your doctor.
Swedish offers the following MRI exams. Your exam will be scheduled at the Swedish facility the procedure is available at.
- Brain MRI
- Spine MRI
- Cardiac MRI
- Abdominal MRI
- MR Enterography - specialized view of small bowels (for this procedure you will be asked to arrive 2 hours prior to your appointment time and given oral contrast to drink.)
- MR Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) - specialized view of the biliary tree
- Pelvis MRI
- Upper Extremity (Musculoskeletal) MRI (i.e., hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, humerus or shoulder)
- Lower Extremity (Musculoskeletal) MRI (i.e., foot, ankle, tibia/fibula, knee, femur or hip)
- MR Arthrogram (Musculoskeletal): including wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip, knee or ankle
- MR Angiography - MRA can be done on almost any part of the body and is specifically used to image blood vessels and blood flow
- Stealth MRI
- Fetal MRI
- Functional MRI
- Revo (MR compatible) Pacemaker MRI
- Pediatric MRI
- You will be registered and asked to fill out the MRI screening form. You can print this and fill it out ahead of time to bring with you.
- A health care professional will explain the test and answer any questions you may have.
- Some MRI exams require an injection of intravenous MRI contrast. Allergic reaction from gadolinium dye is extremely rare (less than 1%). Your technologist will review a list of possible allergic complications. Notify the technologist immediately if you experience any discomfort.
- The exam is 45 minutes to one hour per body part. If you are given contrast dye, it will add an additional 15-20 minutes. The total time you will be at the imaging center is one to two hours.