Swedish Orthopedic Institute performs more than 5,000 procedures annually – more joint replacements than any other hospital in Washington state. Many joint-replacement patients enjoy activities they formerly thought impossible – everything from a simple walk with a friend to extended travel.
Orthopedic surgeons at the Swedish Orthopedic Institute perform thousands of joint replacements each year. At the forefront of the field, the specialists here have pioneered new prosthetics and techniques to make each surgery a highly effective treatment choice.
- Partial knee replacement – a minimally invasive knee surgery done through a small incision. There is typically a faster recovery when compared to total knee replacement surgery
- Total knee replacement – performed on patients whose joints are severely damaged due to progressive arthritis, trauma or some other destructive joint disease
- Total hip replacement – an artificial joint is used to replace damaged cartilage and bone so the hip joint can move without pain
- Hip resurfacing – involves reshaping the ball of the joint and capping it with a metal prosthesis
Shoulder Injury and Replacement
- Total shoulder replacement – also known as total shoulder arthroplasty
- Partial shoulder replacement – also called shoulder resurfacing, it’s a more conservative, less invasive approach to traditional total shoulder replacement surgery
- Reverse shoulder arthroplasty – a total shoulder replacement done to decrease pain and discomfort
At the heart of the joint-replacement program are dedicated treatment teams who provide comprehensive, personalized care. You’ll benefit from:
- State-of-the-art operating rooms
- Special orthopedic facilities and tools
- Extensive inventory of prosthetic devices
- Sophisticated rehabilitation
- Advanced support services
The treatment team uses a special care plan specifically for joint-replacement patients called the Joint Journey. This step-by-step plan details a patient’s daily routine, and every aspect of care, from anesthesia to postoperative exercise, is carefully coordinated to ensure the best possible outcome.
Our pre-op joint journey classes are held 100 percent virtually
To refer a patient for joint replacement, call our joint replacement coordinator at 206-215-9145.
The Swedish Orthopedic Institute performs more joint replacements than any other medical center in the region: more than 1,000 hip replacements and more than 1,000 knee replacements each year. Additionally, we bring:
- Orthopedic innovations – Our board-certified orthopedic surgeons pioneered techniques that are used worldwide and were the first in the area to perform MAKOplasty® Partial Knee Replacement.
- Joint Journey plan – This step-by-step plan details a patient’s daily routine and care, from preadmission to outpatient rehabilitation.
- Blue Distinction Center – This designation by the Blue Cross/Blue Association recognizes that Swedish has better overall outcomes with fewer medical complications for hip and knee replacement.
Providers Specializing in Joint Replacement
At Swedish, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.