Infectious Disease & Travel Medicine
We provide care for patients with a wide range of infectious diseases, acquired either at home or during their travels. We often treat patients on an outpatient basis with intravenous or oral antibiotics. If these conditions require specialized care, we work with surgeons, primary care physicians and specialists to provide treatment.
Many of our patients have acute or chronic skin, joint or bone infections, fevers of unknown origin, or chronic fungal infections. International travelers frequently seek pre-travel healthcare advice, and later treatment if they return with a tropical disease.
We also treat patients who have infections because their immune systems have been compromised by cancer or medications used for organ transplantation, lupus and other immunologic disorders.
We see patients with a variety of other conditions, including:
- Infections after surgery
- Endocarditis (heart valve infections)
- Infectious diarrhea
- HIV and AIDS
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Complex urinary tract infections
- Chronic foot infections
- Infections involving artificial joints or other orthopedic devices
- Exposure to communicable diseases requiring preventive medications or vaccinations