Transoral Robotic Surgery
Cancers of the mouth and throat now can also be accessed through the natural orifice using the DaVinci® robotic surgery system. This new technique has allowed our surgeons to offer another option to otherwise inoperable cancers. Patients undergoing Trans Oral Surgery (TORS) for select mouth and throat cancers can return to normal swallow and breathing very rapidly, sometimes within 48 hours after surgery.
Benefits of daVinci® Surgery
The DaVinci® robotic surgery system offers the following advantages to traditional open surgery:
- High-Definition magnified optical endoscopic vision.
- Small endoscopic articulated tools that can negotiate difficult anatomy otherwise inaccessible to hand-held tools.
- Use of fiberoptic laser to accurately dissect tumors.
- Rapid recovery of swallow and speech function.
- Shorter hospital stay.
- Reconstructive surgery uncommonly required after TORS.
- Elimination of operator tremors via the robotic calibration.
- Decreased operator fatigue, leading to improved surgical outcome.
- Continuously evolving technology.
The types cancers daVinci can treat
The DaVinci® robotic surgery system can be utilized for the following cancers in the Head and Neck region:
- Tongue cancer
- Tonsil cancer
- Cancer of the pharynx (throat)
- Cancer of the larynx (voicebox)
- Cancer of the skullbase