Bone Health & Osteoporosis
Swedish Bone Health & Osteoporosis – Cherry Hill is dedicated to the assessment, treatment and monitoring of bone health and disorders, including osteoporosis and related conditions that may cause bone fractures. Our experts will work with you to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses your unique needs.
Osteoporosis is a progressive disease that reduces bone mass. It usually affects the hip, spine or wrist, making these bones weak and brittle, increasing risk of fractures. While this chronic bone condition is preventable, early detection and education are central to effective treatment and prevention.
To diagnose osteoporosis in its early stages, we offer bone density testing (DXA). This enhanced form of X-ray technology measures the bone density of your hip, spine and forearm. A DXA scan is the best tool to help estimate your chances of a bone fracture in the coming years.
Follow these instructions to prepare for your bone density test:
- Download and complete your Bone Density Test Questionnaire.
- If you have had a barium CT with contrast or nuclear medicine test fourteen or fewer days before your bone density scan, contact our office immediately.
- Do not take calcium or any vitamins the morning of the test.
- You may eat or take routine medications.
- Avoid clothing with zippers, snaps or underwires. You may need to change into a gown.
- Appointments are scheduled for one hour. The actual test takes 15 minutes or less, and is painless.