Dr. Oskouian is a neurosurgeon who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of complex spinal disorders. As the Chief of the Complex Spine Department, his clinical practice located on the Swedish/Cherry Hill campus in Seattle focuses on scoliosis, spinal deformities, spine trauma, spine fractures, spinal surgery revisions, osteoporosis, spinal cord injury, degenerative disc disease, spine tumors, stereotactic spinal radiosurgery, spine infections, and minimally invasive spinal surgery. Dr. Oskouian received his medical degree from the University of California, Los Angeles. He completed his residency in neurosurgery at the University of Virginia under the late Dr. John Jane, Sr. Dr. Oskouian completed his neurosurgery fellowship at the New Zealand National Hospital in Auckland. Dr. Oskouian has published in numerous medical journals and textbooks, including Neuroscience, Neurosurgery, Neurosurgical Clinics of North America, the Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurosurgical Focus and Spine. His philosophy of care is to provide comprehensive, individualized medical care for his patients based on the most recent scientific advances. Dr. Oskouian also believes prevention, communication and education are a vital component of a patient’s long-term health and well-being.Read More
1. Kelly DF, Oskouian RJ Jr, Fineman I. Collagen sponge repair of small cerebrospinal fluid leaks obviates tissue grafts and cerebrospinal fluid diversion after pituitary surgery. Neurosurgery. 2001;49(4):885-889.
2. Oskouian RJ Jr, Johnson JP, Regan JJ. Thoracoscopic microdiscectomy. Operatíve Nuances Section: Neurosurgery. 2002;50(1):103-109.
3. Oskouian RJ Jr, Johnson JP. Vascular complications in anterior thoracolumbar spinal reconstruction. J Neurosurg. 2002;96(1):1-5.
4. Oskouian RJ Jr, Jane JA Sr, Laurent JJ, Dumont AS, Levine PA. Esthesioneuroblastoma: Clinical presentation, radiology, pathology, treatment, and review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2002;12(5)1-9.
5. Oskouian RJ Jr, Martin NA, Lee JH, Glenn TC, Guthrie D, Gonzalez N, Afari A, Vinũela F. Multimodal quantitation of endovascular therapy for vasospasm: TCD, CBF and arterial diameters. Neurosurgery. 2002;51(1):30-41.
6. Dumont AS, Oskouian RJ Jr, Chow MM, Kassell NF. Surgical management of unruptured basilar artery bifurcation aneurysms: Technical note. Neurosurg Focus. 2002;13(3):e3.
7. Dumont AS, Dumont RJ, Oskouian RJ Jr. Will improved understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms involved in acute spinal cord injury improve the potential for therapeutic intervention? Curr Opin Neurol. 2002;(6):713-20.
8. Oskouian RJ Jr, Samii A, Whitehill R, Shaffrey Me, Johnson R, Shaffrey CI. The future of spinal arthroplasty: A biomaterial perspective. Neurosurg Focus. 2004;17(3):E2.
9. Laws ER, Sheehan JP, Sheehan JM, Jaganathan J, Jane JA Jr, Oskouian JR Jr. Stereotactic radiosurgery for pituitary adenomas: a review of the literature. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. 2004;69: 257–272.
10. Oskouian RJ, Johnson PJ. Endoscopic thoracic discectomy. Neurosurg Focus. 2005;3(6):459-464.
11. Kanter AS, Dumont AS, Asthagiri AR, Oskouian RJ Jr, Sansur C, Jane JA Jr, Laws ER Jr. The transsphenoidal approach: A historical perspective. Neurosurg Focus. 2005;18(4):e6.
12. Villavicencio AT, Oskouian RJ Jr, Roberson C, Stokes J, Park J, Shaffrey CI, Johnson JP. Thoracolumbar vertebral reconstruction of metastatic spinal tumors: Long-term outcomes. Neurosurg Focus. 2005;19(3):E8.
13. Johnson JP, Stokes JJ, Oskouian RJ Jr, Choi W. Image-guided thoracoscopic spinal surgery: A merging of two technologies. Spine 2005;30(19):E572-8.
14. Kanter AS, Diallo AO, Jane JA Jr., Sheehan JP, Asthagiri AR, Oskouian RJ Jr, Okonkwo DO, Sansur CA, Vance ML, Rogol AD, Laws ER Jr. Single-center experience with pediatric Cushing’s disease. J Neurosurg. 2005;103(5):413-20.
15. Jagannathan J, Dumont AS, Prevedello DM, Lopes B, Oskouian RJ Jr, Jane JA Jr, Laws ER Jr. Genetics of pituitary adenomas: Current theories and future implications. Neurosurg Focus. 2005;19(5):E4.
16. Oskouian RJ Jr, Johnson JP. Endoscopic thoracic microdiscectomy. J Neurosurg Spine. 2005;3(6):459-64.
17. Li Y, Oskouian RJ Jr, Day Y-J, Kewrn JA, Linden JM. Evaluation of a compression-derived mouse spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion (SCIR) injury model. J Neurosurg Spine. 2006;4(2):165-73.
18. Pouratin N, Oskouian RJ Jr, Jensen ME, Kassell NF, Dumont AS. Endovascular management of unruptured intracranial aneurysms. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:572-578.
19. Li Y, Oskouian RJ Jr, Day YJ, Rieger JM, Liu L, Kern JA, Linden J. Mouse spinal cord compression injury is reduced by either activation of the adenosine a(2a) receptor on bone marrow-derived cells or deletion of the a(2a) receptor on non-bone marrow-derived cells. Neuroscience. 2006;141(4):2029-2039.
20. Oskouian RJ Jr, Samii A, Laws ER. The craniopharyngiomas. Pituitary surgery. Front Horm Res. 2006;34:256-278.
21. Li Y, Oskouian RJ, Day YJ, Ker Ja, Linden J. Optimization of a mouse locomotor rating system to evaluate compression-induced spinal cord injury: Correlation of locomotor and morphological injury indices. J Neurosurg Spine. 2006;4(2):165-173.
22. Oskouian RJ Jr, Kelly DF, Laws ER. Vascular Injury and transsphenoidal surgery. Pituitary surgery. Front Horm Res. 2006;34:105-126.
23. Li Y, Oskouian RJ, Shaffrey CI, Day Y-J, Bumpass DB, Roy RJ, Berr SS, Kern JA, Linden J. Novel and reproducible murine spinal cord ischemia/reperfusion injury mode. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2006;12(1):1-10.
24. Oskouian RJ Jr, Shaffrey CI. Degenerative lumbar scoliosis. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2006;17(3):299-315, vii.
25. Aslan H, Zilberman Y, Kandel L, Liebergall M, Oskouian RJ Jr, Gazit D, Gazit Z. Osteogenic differentiation of noncultured immunoisolated bone marrow-derived CD105+ cells. Stem Cells. 2006;24(7):1728-1737.
26. Oskouian RJ Jr, Shaffrey CI, Whitehill R, Sansur CA, Pouratian N, Kanter AS, Asthagiri AR, Dumont AS, Sheehan JP, Elias WJ, Shaffrey ME. Anterior stabilization of three-column thoracolumbar spinal trauma. J Neurosurg Spine. 2006;5(1):18-25.
27. Li Y, Oskouian RJ Jr, Day YJ, Rieger JM, Liu L, Kern JA, Linden J. Mouse spinal cord compression injury is reduced by either activation of the adenosine A2A receptor on bone marrow-derived cells or deletion of the A2A receptor on non-bone marrow-derived cells. Neuroscience. 2006;141(4):2029-2039.
28. Elias WJ, Pouratian N, Oskouian RJ, Schrimer B, Burns T. Peroneal neuropathy following successful bariatric surgery. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg. 2006;105(4):631-635.
29. Oskouian RJ Jr, Sansur CA, Shaffrey CI. Congenital abnormalities of the thoracic and lumbar spine. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2007;18(3):479-498.
30. Sansur CA, Frysinger RC, Pouratian N, Fu K-M, Bittl M, Oskouian RJ, Laws ER, Elias JW. Incidence of symptomatic hemorrhage after stereotactic electrode placement. J Neurosurg. 2007;107(5):998-1003.
31. Jagannathan J, Oskouian RJ, Yeoh K, Dumont AS. Molecular biology of unreresectable meningiomas: Implications for new treatments and review of literature. Skull Base. 2008;18(3):173-187.
32. Sheehan J, Ionescu A, Pouratian N, Hamilton K, Schelesinger D, Oskouian RJ Jr, Sansur C. Trans sodium crocetinate sensitizes glioblastoma multiforme tumors to radiation. J Neurosurg. 2008;108(5):972-978.
33. Jagannathan J, Oskouian RJ Jr, Dumont AS, Shaffrey CI, Jane JA Sr. Radiographic and clinical outcomes following single level anterior cervical diskectomy and allograft fusion without plating or cervical collar. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008;8(5):420-428.
34. Hamilton DK, Jones-Quaidoo SM, Sansur C, Shaffrey CI, Oskouian R, Jane JA Sr. Outcomes of bone morphogenetic protein-2 in mature adults: Posterolateral non-instrument-assisted lumbar decompression and fusion. Surg Neurol. 2008;69(5):457-461.
35. Furneaux CE, Marshall ES, Yeoh K, Monteith SJ, Mews PJ, Sansur CA, Oskouian RJ, Sharples KJ, Baguley BC. Cell cycle times of short-term cultures of brain cancers as predictors of survival. Br J Cancer J. 2008;99(10):1678-1683.
36. Sansur CA, Fu KM, Oskouian RJ Jr, Jagannathan J, Kuntz C 4th, Shaffrey CI. Surgical management of global sagittal deformity in ankylosing spondylitis. Neurosurg Focus. 2008;24(1):E8.
37. Jagannathan J, Sansur CA, Oskouian RJ Jr, Fu KM, Shaffrey CI. Radiographic restoration of lumbar alignment after transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion. Neurosurgery. 2009;64(5):955-963.
38. Jagannathan J, Yen CP, Ray DK, Schlesinger D, Oskouian RJ Jr, Pouratian N, Shaffrey ME, Larner J, Sheehan JP. Gamma Knife radiosurgery to the surgical cavity following resection of brain metastases. J Neurosurg. 2009;111(3):431-438.
39. Hussain NS, Hanscom D, Oskouian RJ Jr. Chyloretroperitoneum following anterior spinal surgery. Report of 4 cases. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012;17(5):415-421.
40. Ahmadian A, Verma S, Mundis GM Jr, Oskouian RJ Jr, Smith DA, Uribe JS. Minimally invasive lateral retroperitoneal transpsoas interbody fusion for L4-5 spondylolisthesis: clinical outcomes. J Neurosurg Spine. 2013 Sep;19(3):314-20.
41. Oskouian RJ Jr, Uribe JS. Introduction: Minimally Invasive Spine surgery: The Greatest Advance in Medicine? Neurosurg Focus. 2013 Aug;35(2):Introduction.
42. Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ Jr. Nonoperative care or noncore for thoracolumbar spine fractures? Questioning the unthinkable. Spine J. 2014;14(11):2557-64.
43. Moisi MD, Page J, Oskouian RJ Jr. Commentary on: Lumbar Intervertebral Discal Cyst: A Rare Cause of Low Back Pain and Radiculopathy. Case Report and Review of the Current Evidences on Diagnosis and Management.” Evid Based Spine Care J. 2014.
44. Oskouian, RJ Jr, Chapman, JR Cervicothoracic Spine Fractures. AOSpine 2015 (6): 57-75.
45. Hussain, NS, Perez-Cruet, MJ, Oskouian RJ Jr. Thoracolumnbar Osteoporosis. Spinal Instrumentation, 2nd Ed., Ch 49.
46. Moisi M, Page J, Paulson D, Oskouian RJ. Technical Note - Lateral Approach to the Lumbar Spine for the Removal of Interbody Cages. Cureus. 2015 May 11;7(5):e268. doi: 10.7759/cureus.268. eCollection 2015 May.
47. Tubbs RS, Demerdash A, Rizk E, Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ. Complications of transoral and Transnasal odontoidectomy: a comprehensive review. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Aug 7.
48. Akobo S, Rizk E, Loukas M, Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ, Tubbs RS. The Odontoid Process: A Comprehensive Review of Its Anatomu, Embryology and Variations. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Aug 8.
49. Bernard S, Loukas M, Rizk E, Oskouian RJ, Delashaw J, Shane Tubbs R. The Human Orbital Bone: Review and Update of its Embryology and Molecular Development. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Aug 18.
50. Youssef P, Loukas M, Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ, Tubbs RS. Comprehensive Anatomical and Immunohistochemical Review of the Innervation of the Human Spine and Joints with Application to an Improved Understanding of Back Pain. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Aug 18.
51. Aly I, Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ, Loukas M, Tubbs RS. Lumbar Ribs: a Comprehensive Review. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Sep 9.
The Patient Rating score is based on responses given during the CAHPS Patient Experience Survey. Comments are also gathered from the same survey and displayed in their entirety with the exception of any language that may be considered slander, libel or contain private health information, which will be removed prior to publishing the comments. Responses are measured on a 10 - point scale, with 10 being the best score. These scores are then translated to a 5 - point scale in order to display results in a 5 - star rating. More About Our SurveyRead More
I showed up for my appointment early so that I could get x-rays before my appointment. I wasn't sent to get the x-rays. This provider wanted to do a 3 month follow up after a major surgery without current x-rays preferring to only use x-rays from right after the surgery. I asked for more recent x-rays so he sent me to get x-rays after the appointment. I haven't heard back about those x-rays.Read More
I had concerns that the provider brushed aside. No conversation about causes or solutions.Read More
Less than 5 min. w/ the doctor. He didn't ask questions deeper than 'how are you', and I got more information about my condition from the CT scan report on My Chart.Read More
Doctor Oskuian is a teaching chief and I have always been aware of that reality. Yet, On the occasion that he had fellows accompanying him. I was always his primary focus even though I am sure it would have been natural for him to discuss my case with him. In short, he is an exceptional doctor and should be touted as one of Swedish's finest providers.Read More
Dr. Oskouian is an amazing surgeon. His skillful hands have given me my life back. I can now do everything I want and need to do. This is truly a gift for which I am very grateful.Read More
this is by far one of the best doctors I've seen in a very long time. he was efficient, well informed, treated me with respect, answered my questions and in general provided excellent quality of treatmentRead More
I felt a bit rushed to explain all my symptoms which are complex and a bit different than when I was there in August. But, the end result of his recommendation to me perhaps made this of less importance. I'll be returning in July for a followup on the outcome of his recommendation.Read More
Dr. Oskouian is an excellent doctor and I have and will continue to promote him to any and all interested.Read More
My overall recommendation is really good that satisfied my interest.Read More
Dr. Oskouian and his team have been instrumental in my current good health! They have kept my concerns top priority and I have counted on them numerous times to assist with my needs over the phone. They have always listened and made sure my concerns were heard and cared for. I highly recommend them to anyone seeking medical care for their back issues!Read More
basically he told me I needed to lose weight tonhelp.my condition. I have gained weight Due to my condition. I know I need to lose weight but my condition does not help!Read More