What to Expect
Pediatric Therapy Services
We are pleased that you have chosen Pediatric Therapy Services at Swedish for the care of your child. We strive to provide the highest quality speech-language, occupational, and physical therapy to children of all ages. We also want to provide an environment that fosters the health and well-being of our families and children. In doing so, we have created an orientation to our department to facilitate the least restrictive environment while delivering the highest quality and best value healthcare to all we serve.
Location and Hours
Parking and Transportation Options
Registration and Check-In
Upon your first visit, we ask that you arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to check-in. Patient registration will require taking a copy of your insurance card and ask you to sign a consent for services document.
We ask that you check in at our registration desk for every single therapy appointment, where you will be asked if there are any changes to your child’s personal information i.e. address, allergies, medical diagnosis, or insurance information. Please let us know IMMEDIATELY if you have a mailing address or an insurance change so that we can ensure accurate processing of your bill. It is important that you let us know of any changes to your information.
Should your insurance coverage change for any reason, you will be required to open a new account with the registration staff. Failure to notify us of these changes as soon as they occur may result in errors in the billing process.
Upon your arrival at Pediatric Therapy Services
Please have a seat in our waiting room. It is important that you and your family remain in the waiting room until your therapist comes to pick up your child. Your child’s therapist will be paged and notified of your arrival. Please inform the front desk staff if you have waited 10 minutes past your appointment time. Please keep all personal items with you at all times.
At the time of scheduling, we will ask for your insurance information. We will contact your insurance to obtain authorization for services. We are unable to confirm benefits and therefore ask that you contact your insurance company so that you fully understand your coverage plan. Should you have additional questions regarding your bill, please call Customer Service & Financial Services at 206-320-4476 or toll free at 1-888-294-9333.
In accordance with the laws surrounding Health Information Practices, we will ask you to sign a RELEASE OF INFORMATION form prior to exchanging any information about your child’s health/medical or therapy records. If you are interested in receiving a copy of your child’s evaluation, you may request it through our Health Information Management dept. We will be glad to assist you with this request.
Cancellation and No-Show Policy
- We ask that our families commit to an 85% attendance record. There is a significant wait list for children needing to receive therapy services in our community as this time.
- Please be sure to cancel any therapy sessions at least 24 hours in advance of scheduled sessions. Please contact our main phone line (206) 386-3592 to cancel or reschedule your appointment. If you get our voice mailbox, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
- If you fail to show or cancel your appointment, you will be contacted to be rescheduled. If you have three consecutive no-shows, we will require you to obtain a new referral prior to restarting therapy.
- If your therapist becomes ill unexpectedly, we will make every effort to contact you by 8:15 am and attempt to reschedule. Please leave a phone number that you can be reliably reached in the event that a phone call is needed.
Family Support Services Coordination
We are happy to provide information regarding additional resources available within the Swedish system and your local community. This may include additional information for community programs, school support and services. For questions related to family support coordination, you may contact (206) 386-6818.
Illness policy and maintaining a clean environment
- Hand washing is the number one way to prevent the spread of infection. There is a family restroom in the lobby. We encourage you to use it prior to entering the therapy department. Hand washing stations are available in most therapy rooms as well.
- We ask that all diaper changing take place in the family bathroom. If your child requires other accommodations for diaper changes, please ask a staff member to provide an alternate area.
- Please note that all of our toys and mats are cleaned after each child’s session.
- To further assist us in maintaining a clean and sanitary environment, each patient should remove their shoes and place them in the shoe cubby in the waiting area. Pediatric socks are available if needed or preferred. We also ask that any caregivers that accompany their children to the treatment rooms wear socks or shoe covers that are located in the shoe cubby. The shoe covers may be placed directly over your shoes. Please ask any available staff member if you have questions concerning this policy.
- If you or your child has had a FEVER or vomited within 24 hours prior to your appointment, or has been exposed to a contagious disease, we ask that you call to cancel or reschedule your appointment. Many of our patients are children with compromised immune systems and are at high risk for catching illnesses. Thank you for being respectful of the health of those you and your child come in contact with while you are at Swedish.
- We encourage your participation during therapy sessions; however, there are times when the parents or siblings presence may be disruptive to the therapy session. During these times, we encourage and prefer that you and your family use the waiting room. We also request that you remain in the waiting room for the duration of the therapy session. If an emergency should occur with your child, we want to be able to reach you as quickly as possible.
- We strive for family-centered care and realize that our patients have siblings/cousins/friends that may need to attend their therapy sessions with you and your child. Please keep a watchful eye on these children. Our focus for the sessions is on the child receiving the therapy. While other children can often motivate your child, please note that if their presence leads to a less-optimal therapy environment, the children and adult(s) will be asked to return to the waiting room. For the safety and protection of everyone, if you need to join your child’s therapy session already in progress, a staff member will escort you to meet them.
- We ask that phone calls be taken in the hallway near the elevators and not in the waiting room. There is a phone available at the front desk for emergency use.
We thank you for choosing Pediatric Therapy Services at Swedish for your child’s therapy services. We look forward to serving you and your family. Please let us know how we can make your visit a positive experience.
Swedish Medical Center is a non-profit organization. This means that any money remaining, after expenses, is invested into improving services provided to our patients. If you or someone you know is interested in supporting Swedish Pediatric Therapy Services specifically, our office staff will be happy to provide information on how to do so. Thank you.