The MS Center has a range of specialists who are dedicated to helping MS patients achieve optimal function and independence through physical wellness. Our Physical Wellness team includes a physical rehabilitation physician, also known as a physiatrist, and a physical therapist, occupational therapist and patient education coordinator.
These specialists work together to coordinate personalized exercise programs, physical treatments, evaluations and equipment needs to address MS symptoms such as:
- Sensory alteration
- Autonomic function
- Cognitive changes
- Mobility issues
Our physical wellness team works with patients in the MS Center’s state-of-the-art gym, which is fully equipped with specialized equipment for MS patients. In addition to a treadmill, stationary bike and elliptical, the gym has therapeutic FES, NuStep and Motomed equipment, walking bars, a stretching platform and weights.
Your Physical Wellness team will create a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. Your plan could include:
- Stretching and range-of-motion programs to increase flexibility
- Gait training for better balance
- Strength training to improve power
- Posture assessments of the neck, upper extremities and shoulder
- Conditioning programs using ultrasound, heat, stretching, transcutaneous nerve stimulation and other methods
- Custom upper-extremity orthosis and splints to decrease spasticity and improve range of motion
- Assistance with spasticity management options such as botulisum toxin or phenol blocks
- Cardio, weight training, yoga, Pilates, music therapy and musical instrument reconditioning
- Individualized recreational opportunities planned by our Adventure Guide
Our Physical Wellness Team also conducts an array of evaluations and clinics to help MS patients.
- Optimize mobility with bracing, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, electric wheelchairs or scooters
- Maximize the use of wheelchairs through best seating practices
- Choose the best home equipment for safety and ease in performing tasks such as writing, eating and dressing
Learn more about the members of the Physical Wellness Team:
Angeli Mayadev, M.D.
Kim Kobata, RPT
Simon Gale, OTR/L
Mallory Higgins, patient education coordinator