Example Interview Questions for a Birth Doula
It’s often best to begin an interview by telling the doula a bit about yourself and your partner if applicable, what your hopes are for your labor & delivery, and why you are interested in doula care. Following are some questions you may then want to ask the doula to get a sense of whether s/he might be a good fit for you.
- What would you describe as your strengths as a doula?
- What specific types of support and/or techniques do you use to help me move through labor?
- How will you work with my partner through this process? (If applicable.)
- What do you typically cover in the prenatal meetings we have prior to labor?
- At what point in labor will you come and join me?
- What do you typically cover in the postnatal meeting after delivery?
- What are your back-up arrangements in case you are at another birth when I go into labor?
- If we decide to hire you, what are our next steps?
Questions to consider after a birth doula interview
These questions might be helpful as you reflect on your interview(s) to determine which doula is the right fit for your family.
- How comfortable was I with the doula?
- Did the doula communicate well with me and my family?
- What was the doula’s knowledge level? Were my questions answered thoroughly?
- If there are unexpected situations, do I feel confident that the doula can offer what I'll need to make decisions that are right for me?
- What does my intuition tell me about whether this is the right doula to nurture me and my family through my birth experience?
Adapted from DONA International “Hiring a Doula: Guide for Parents” Accessed 5/4/17