Send in Your Why
Have you ever thought about why you do what you do? What drives you to do the work you do every day? Why did you choose Swedish? Why healthcare? Your why is your purpose. Understanding this simple but complex question can help you be your best self and directly benefits the patients and families in our care.
When finding your ‘why,’ consider these questions:
- What is a consistent highlight of your day at work?
- When you were applying for your role, what was the one thing you wanted to accomplish?
- What three words define your work?
- What are some memorable moments you have experienced in your role?
- Think of a day at work when, as you headed home, you might have said to yourself, “I would have done that for free.” What happened that day to make you say that?
- What was a time when you gave of yourself to help someone else, after which you felt unbelievably good – like you had done something that mattered?
Here are some ways you can get involved with the ‘My Why’ campaign:
- Send in a selfie video talking about your 'Why'. All you need to do is: grab your phone or digital camera, make sure the camera is facing you, either prop your phone/camera on a tripod or hold it in your hand and start taking a video. Or, you can ask a friend to take the video for you. Videos should be brief— one to three minutes in length, easy to hear and understand.
- Spread the word with your colleagues! Submissions can be made through our online form or via email
- Get your team involved by putting a 'My Why' jar in your staff lounge
- End a staff meeting or huddle by sharing your ‘why’ and encouraging others to do the same
- Come up with a team ‘why’ take a photo and share!
Do you have ideas on how to talk about 'My Why'? Let us know.
- Watch the TED talk
- Read Start With Why by Simon Sinek
Keep an eye out for more information about the My Why campaign in MiniMemo, on Swedish Online and on the InOurCircle app. Contact us for more information.