COVID-19 Strategy and Preparedness Modules
The intent of these education modules is to share changes in practice and offer insight for better understanding and management given the current pandemic. It is the guidance of the Swedish pharmacy team to provide best practices during this unprecedented time. As more information is available, more modules will be added to this online series.
Information on COVID-19 is evolving daily. As more information is available, current information may not be relevant. We will do our best to update the information provided as necessary throughout the year, but it is your responsibility to stay informed as well. Such information is subject to change without notice. Please also refer to the CDC COVID-19 website and Swedish organizational guidelines on the intranet for up-to-date recommendations.
This online module series is provided in partnership with Swedish Pharmacy Education.
Any Swedish Medical Center or Swedish Medical Group physician, pharmacist or medical staff member. Currently this module is not intended for external providers.
At the completion of these eLearning modules, the participant should be able to:
- Overall series: Review COVID-19 related updates and management guidelines at Swedish Medical Center
- Explain and justify the rationale and practical guidelines for conserving Metered Dose Inhalers (MDIs)*
- Explain the role of universal masking in the prevention of viral spread
- Demonstrate how to wear a mask correctly
- Explain the process for handling medications to prevent cross contamination
- Explain how tocilizumab may have a role in COVID-19 treatment*
- Explain the strategies for responding to COVID-19 related drug shortages at Swedish Medical Center (SMC)
- Identify three resources available to support personal wellness during the pandemic
- Identify four health differences existing in racial and ethnic groups that result in inequities during COVID-19
- Name four actionable strategies that can be taken to elevate equity and health outcomes
To complete these courses and claim credit a score of 70% on the quiz questions throughout each module is required. To access the modules, click the Name of the module below that you would like to take. This will direct you to the Swedish CME Portal to log-in and register for that module to get access to the module. View instructions on completing Online Modules.
After you pass the module, click "Next" to complete the evaluation and claim credit/completion. *Please note you will not receive credit or a certificate for the module if you do not continue the steps after the module/quiz. You may be required to log into the CME portal again to claim credit.
Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI) Conservation Module*
This activity provides the rationale and practical guidelines for conserving MDIs during the COVID-19 outbreak.
*Discontinued as of 3/31/21 as there is no longer a shortage.
This activity provides the rationale and practical guidelines for universal masking during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Medication Handling in Droplet Isolation
This activity provides the rationale and practical guidelines for the safe handling of medications in special droplet isolation precautions to prevent cross contamination.
This activity provides the rationale and practical guidelines for the potential use of tocilizumab during the COVID-19 outbreak.
*Temporarily disabled for updating as of 12-31-2020. Please check back at a later date for access.
This activity provides information regarding drug shortages during the COVID-19 outbreak.
This activity provides the rationale and practical guidelines for the use of hydroxychloroquine during the COVID-19 outbreak.
*Discontinued as of 12-31-2020
This activity highlights the importance of caregiver self care and the resources available to support the health and well-being of caregivers during the current pandemic.
Racial Disparities in COVID-19
This activity highlights the impact of racism on health, in particular during the COVID-19 pandemic, and offers strategies to address these inequities.
After completing each online module/quiz, you will be directed to:
- Click on the Next button to be directed to the CME claim credit area and evaluation of this activity.
Log-in again to the CME Portal using your CME profile information.
- Complete the course evaluation and click the "Claim Credit" or "Complete" button at the end.
- Claim CME/Completion credit and print your certificate. If you are not able to print, log into your CME Portal at any time to view your Transcript and print your record of course completions.
Current as of August 10, 2021
CME Credit For each module:
Accreditation with Commendation
Swedish Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Swedish Medical Center designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Continuing Education Accreditation
Swedish Medical Center Department of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education
ACPE Universal Activity Numbers:
- MDI Conservation Module: 0599-0000-20-003-H04-P and 0599-0000-20-003-H04-T - Discontinued 2021
- Universal Masking: 0599-0000-20-006-H04-P and 0599-0000-20-006-H04-T
- Medication Handling: 0599-0000-20-004-H04-P and 0599-0000-20-004-H04-T
- Tocilizumab: 0599-0000-20-010-H01-P and 0599-0000-20-010-H01-T - Discontinued 2021
- Drug Shortages: 0599-0000-20-011-H04-P and 0599-0000-20-011-H04-T
- Hydroxychloroquine: 0599-0000-20-013-H01-P and 0599-0000-20-013-H01-T - Discontinued 2021
- Caregiver Wellness: 0599-0000-20-015-H04-P and 0599-0000-20-015-H04-T
- Racial Disparities: 0599-0000-21-014-H04-P and 0599-0000-21-014-H04-T
Activity type: Knowledge-based
CPE credits: 0.25 contact hours (0.025 CEU)
Due to the newness of this virus and medical recommendations there is no potential for financial relationships or conflicts of interest among faculty or planning committee members. The planning committee members and faculty have no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
No commercial support was used in the development of this CME activity.
Diem Pham, PharmD
Swedish Medical Center
Marian Dobles, PharmD
Swedish Medical Center
Diem Pham, PharmD
Adam Corson, M.D.
Jack Huber - Added August 2021
Danielle Posadas, CME Specialist Sr.
Oversight: Pharmacy Clinical Committee; Pharmacy Education Committee
These are a series of self-learning modules requiring reading and answering questions related to the content. The learner must complete all parts in order to successfully complete the course and receive an 70% or higher on each module quiz to obtain credit for that module.
View General System Requirements
Estimated Time to Complete
Allow 15 minutes to complete each training module and exam.
There is no fee to complete these modules, however, you must be on Swedish Medical Staff or a Pharmacist at Swedish Medical Center.
Technical Questions: Swedish Pharmacy Education or Swedish CME.
Start Date: April 10. 2020
Review Date: December 31, 2020
End Date: December 31, 2022
Additional information and resources for each topic are listed throughout the presentations in slide notes or the references section.
Privacy & Confidentiality
This learning activity is the property of Swedish Medical Center.