Swedish Media Alert: March 12, 2020
March 12, 2020
Swedish cares about the health and well-being of our patients and caregivers. Given that COVID-19 is circulating in our community, we must ensure the safety of our facilities and our ability to care for as many patients as possible. Safety is our top priority during this time.
Effective Thursday, March 12 at noon, all routine visiting will be suspended at our hospital campuses until further notice. Additionally, visitors will not be allowed for patients under evaluation for COVID-19 or who have tested positive. Until COVID-19 no longer poses a public health threat, all patients and visitors will be screened.
Exceptions to the visitor policy include the following:
- Emergency Department patient may have one (1) support person
- Children under the age of 18 may have an advocate, parent or guardian. Underage siblings are not permitted to visit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit may have a parent, plus one significant other who must remain in the room for duration of the visit*
- OB patients may have one partner and one birth support person**
- Long-term antepartum patients (seven (7) days or greater length of stay) may arrange a one-hour visit one time a week for their own children to visit in the patient room only
- Patients who are end of life may have two (2) visitors
- Patients with confusion, altered mental status, developmental delays or agitation, where a family member or advocate can provide safety and support, may have one (1) advocate/support person
- Surgical or procedural patients may have one (1) escort / support person; however, will be asked to leave as soon as possible after the surgery / procedure
- Clinic, laboratory or radiology patients who have appointments at the hospital or attached hospital-based clinics, may have one (1) person escort them
- Patients who require an escort for assistance related to mobility, interpretation or healthcare decision making may have one (1) additional assistance person
Advocates, parents and visitors who meet the above criteria must also comply with the following instructions:
- No visitors may be under 18 years of age, unless specified above
- Visitors must be free of fever (by report or measured, if available) OR acute severe cough OR shortness of breath
- Except for transit to and from, visitors are to stay in the patient’s room for the duration of their visit
- Visitors must follow staff instructions regarding hand washing and use of personal protective equipment
*Only the mother and the 4th band holder may stay during their infant’s stay in the unit. The 4th band holder may be the other parent, a family member or friend selected by the mother. Unfortunately, no other visitors will be granted access to the unit during this time including siblings and grandparents. Once the individual selected is banded as the 4th band holder, we cannot make changes.
**The support person may either be a family member or a doula. These two visitors must remain with the patient during the stay. Multiple visitors will not be able to rotate. The support person must be at least 18 years of age. The second parent of the baby maybe present regardless of age.
We appreciate the public’s help in keeping patients, visitors and caregivers safe.
For more COVID-19 information, please visit our website.