RESEARCH, PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
NATIONAL PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
Transform Trial – Multi Center Experience with the Rapid Deployment Edwards Intuity Valve System For Valve Replacement. Co- National Principal Investigator. Sponsored by Edwards. Conducted in 20 Centers in the United States of which Swedish Medical Center will be one. Enrolling begins July 2012.
EXCLUDE2 – Left Atrial Appendage Exclusion Observation Study of Concomitant LAA Exclusion Using AtriClip in Non-AF Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgical Procedures. Sponsored by AtriCure. National Study which will include Swedish Medical Center. Initiation date pending.
EXCEL: Evaluation of XIENCE PRIME or XIENCE V versus Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery for Effectiveness of Left Main Revascularization. Sponsored by Abbott. Conducted at Swedish Medical Center. March 2012 – currently enrolling.
ABLATE AF Registry Trial. AtriCure synergy bipolar radiofrequency energy lesions for non-paroxysmal forms of atrial fibrillation treatment during concomitant on-pump endo/epicardial cardiac surgery. Conducted at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. March, 2011 – currently enrolling.
Prospective, randomized evaluation of new onset postoperative atrial fibrillation in subjects receiving the CorMatrix ECM for pericardial closure following isolated, first-time, CABG procedures. Sponsored by CorMatrix. Conducted at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. January, 2011 – January, 2012.
Reduction in Cardiovascular Events by Acadensine in Subjects undergoing CABG (RED-CABG) Investigational Trial. Sponsored by Schering-Plough Research Institute. Conducted at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. July 2009 – October 2010.
Edwards Prima Plus Stentless Bioprosthesis Model 2500P, IDE G980039, Study #98-3. October 2003.
Clinical Protocol for a Double-Blind Multicenter Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Parecoxib Followed by Valdecoxib Compared to Placebo for the Treatment of Post-Surgical Pain in Patients who Have Coronary Bypass Graft via Median Sternotomy. PARA-0505-071. October 2002.
Coronary Artery Bypass Endarterectomy Staging Trial (CABEST). National Institutes of Health Pilot Trial. October 9, 2000.
The Use of Inhaled Nitric Oxide as Pulmonary Vasodilator in Patients with Elevated Pulmonary Vascular Resistance. 1996 to 2007.
The Use of Inhaled Nitric Oxide for the Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension. March 1995 to 2007.
Use of Nashville Rabbit Anti-Thymocyte Serum (N/R-ATS) to Delay Onset of Rejection in Thoracic Organ Recipients. 1990 to 1996.
REd CEll Storage Duration Study (RECESS). A randomized trial to determine if there is a clinically important difference between the effect of shorter storage-age RBCs vs. longer storage-age RBCs on clinical outcome and mortality risk. Study Sponsor: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Conducted at Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA. August 2010-currently enrolling.
Evaluation of the Topical Hemostatic Efficacy and Safety of Fibrin Sealant Vapor Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated Compared with Currently Licensed TISSEEL VH Fibrin Sealant in Subjects Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. August 2002
Surgical Treatment for Ischemic Heart Failure (STICH) Trial. September 2002.
A Double-blind Placebo Controlled Study of Adults Undergoing Non-urgent Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery to Assess Effects of Galileo GLI 218 on Post-operative Cognitive Dysfunction. April 2002.
A Phase III Randomized, Parallel, Double-Blind, Multi-Center, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Effect of Pexelizumab on All-Cause Mortality and Myocardial Infarction in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery With Cardiopulmonary Bypass. PRIMO-CABG trial. November 12, 2001.
The EXPEDITION Trial (Na+/H+ Exchange Inhibition to Prevent Coronary Events in Acute Cardiac Conditions) A double-blind, placebo-controlled, multinational trial to investigate the effect of IV treatment with the Na+/H+ exchange inhibitor cariporide (HOE642) on all-cause mortality and non-fatal myocardial infarction in patients at risk of myocardial necrosis during and after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery - HOE642A/3002. March 28, 2001
A Phase 2, Randomized, Single-Blind, Controlled Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Hemolink™ (o-raffinose cross-linked human hemoglobin) in Subjects Undergoing Revision (Redo) Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery. February 5, 2002
A Controlled Randomized Multi-Center Study to Assess the Safety and Effectiveness of CoSeal® Surgical Sealant Applied to Aortic Repair with Grafts. September 8, 2000.
A Multi-Center Clinic Study of the Safety of the Embol-X Intraaortic Filtration System in
Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG) or Valve Repair/Replacement Surgery Procedure Requiring Cardiopulmonary Bypass – Randomized Study April 2001
A Phase III, Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Clinical Trial to evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Hemolink (o-raffinose cross-linked human hemoglobin) in Patients Undergoing Primary Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery January 2001
A Phase II Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Effect of H5G1.1-ScFv on Total Mortality and Adverse Cardiovascular Ischemic Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass December 1999 to August 2000
"On-X Prosthetic Heart Valve Aortic and Mitral Models 100 and 200"
"On-X Prosthetic Heart Valve Aortic Model 100 (post market study) and Mitral Model 200"
An Observational, Prospective Study of the Toronto SPV Valve in Patients Requiring Aortic Valve Replacement May 1996 to February 1998
Changes in Monophasic and Biphasic Defibrillator Thresholds Over Time in Epicardial and Non-thoracotomy Lead System 1995 to 1996
Release from Hospital for Cardiac Transplant Candidates requiring Interim Support Using the Novacor Left Ventricular Assist System (LVAS) with Portable Controller and Battery March 1995 to June 2000
Carpentier-Edwards Physio Annuloplasty Ring (Model 4450). Study #93-2. (Post-Market Surveillance Data Collection.) June 1994 to August 1998
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Group Comparison Study to Investigate the Efficacy and Safety of Aprotinin on Graft Patency in Patients Undergoing Primary Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery for Myocardial Revascularization April 1994 to September 1995
Possis Perma-Flow Coronary Graft Clinical study September 1993 to July 1994
Secondary Prospective Study for the Evaluation of the Safety of Cryopreserved Human Allograft Heart Valves April 1993 to November 1994
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Group Comparison Study to Investigate the Safety and Efficacy of Aprotinin in Reducing Blood loss and Transfusion Requirements in Patients Undergoing Primary Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery for Myocardial Revascularization March 1993 to February 1994
A Multicenter, Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial to Study the Effect of Prophylactic Use of the Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defribrillator on Survival in Patients who are having Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery and have Left Ventricular Dysfunction and positive Signal Averaged Electrocardiograms. (Survival Study.) 1992 to 1999
Use of Rabbit Anti-Human Thymocyte Globulin for Prophylaxis and Treatment of Allograft Rejection. 1990 to 1996
Re-operative minimally invasive mitral valve replacement using Endodirect cannulation. Youssef SJ, Barnhart, GR: Submitted to Journal of Heart Valve Disease. May, 2012.
Risk-Directed Immunosuppression in Heart Transplant Recipients: Maintenance Prednisone Can Be Avoided in Selected Patients. Arnold AN, Huffman M, Eich DM, Bernstein RC, Old WD, Mooney M, Szentpetery S, Hagberg R, McGrath M, Rich J, Herre JM and Barnhart GR: Transplantation Proceedings, 34, 1830-1833 (2002).
Cardiac Pacemakers in the Transplanted Heart: Short Term with the Biatrial Anastomosis and Unnecessary with the Bicaval Anastomosis. Herre JM, Barnhart GR and Llano A: Curr Opin Cardiolol 2000;15:115-120.
Cardiac Transplantation: The Cardiac Transplant Program at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Barnhart GR: Forum Fall 1994;9:12-13.
Cardiac Transplantation: Current State of the Art. Barnhart GR, Szentpetery S, Baker LD and
Rich JR: Forum Fal 1994;9:2-11.
Hyperlipidemia following clinical cardiac transplantation. Taylor DO, Thompson JA, Hastillo A, Barnhart GR, Risder S, Lower RR and Hess ML: J Heart Transplant May-June 1989;8(3):209
Orthotopic Cardiac Transplantation with CT. Henry DA, Corcoran HL, Lewis TD, Barnhart GR,
Szentpetery S and Lower RR: Radiology Feb 1989;343-350.
Cardiac transplantation without maintenance steroids. Katz MR, Barnhart GR, Szentpetery S, et al: Transplant Proc 1988;20(1)Suppl 1:751.
The prevalence of cardiac allograft arteriosclerosis. Pascoe EA, Barnhart GR, Carter WH,
Thompson JA, Hess ML, Hastillo A, Szentpetery S and Lower RR: Transplant 1987;838-839.
Effects of prophylactic rabbit antithymocyte globulin in cardiac allograft recipients treated with Cyclosporine. Kawaguchi A, Szentpetery S, Mohanakumar T, Barnhart GR and Lower RR: J Heart Transplant 1987;6:214-217.
Are steroids essential for successful maintenance of immunosuppression in heart transplantation: Katz MR, Barnhart GR, Szentpetery S, Rider S, Thompson JA, Hess M, Hastillo A and Lower RR: J Heart Transplant 1987;6(5):292-297
The presence of natural anticoagulants in postoperative chest drainage. Schmelzer V, Gervin CA, Phythian CL, Barnhart GR and Lower RR: Surg Forum Fall 1987.
Lipid Mediators in Organ Transplantation: Does cyclosporine accelerate coronary
atherosclerosis? Hess ML, Hastillo A, Thompson JA, Sansonetti DJ, Szentpetery S, Barnhart GR
and Lower RR: Transplant Proc 1987;19(4).
Pretransplant transfusions in cardiac allograft recipients. Katz MR, Barnhart GR, Goldman MH, Rider S, Hastillo A, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang C, Hess ML, Mohanakumar T and lower RR:
Intra-arterial infusion of papaverine to relieve mesenteric artery vasoconstriction in a neonate with midget volvulus (Papaverine infusion in neonates). Williamson SL, Tisnado J, Cook DE, Barnhart GR and Salzberg A: Vasc Surg July/August 1986;20(4):236-239.
Left ventricular outflow tract obstruction with mitral valve replacement in small ventricular cavities. Jett GK, Jett MD, Barnhart GR, van Risk-Swikker GL and Jones M: Ann of Thor Surg 1986;41(1):70-74.
Selective drainage for pancreatic, biliary and duodenal obstruction secondary to chronic fibrosing pancreatitis. Sugerman JH, Barnhart GR and Newsome HH: Ann of Surg 1986;203:558-567.
Cardiopulmonary arrest following penetrating trauma: Guidelines for emergency hospital management of presumed exsanguination. Jones TK, Barnhart GR and Greenfield LH: J of Trauma Jan 1987;27(1)L24-31.
Digoxin absorption in a patient with short bowel syndrome. Vetticaden SJ, Lehman ME, Barnhart GR and Barr WH: Clin Pharm 1986;5:62.
Comparison of complications with use of pretransfusion/azathioprine/prednisoze versus
cyclosporine/prednisone immunisuppression in cardiac transplantation. Barnhart GR, Goldman MH, Hastillo A, Szentpetery S, Wolfgant TC, Mohanakumar T, Katz MR, Rider S, Hanrahan J,
Hess MJ and lower RR: J of Heart Transplantation July-August 1985;4:381-383.
Warfarin absorption in a patient with short bowel syndrome. Lehman ME, Kolb KW, Barnhart
GR, Wagman LD and Barr WH: Clin Pharm May-June 1985;4(4):325-326.
Pneumoperitoneum resulting from tracheal rupture following blunt chest trauma. Barnhart GR, Brooks JW and Kellum JM: J of Trauma 1986;26:5.
A prospective, randomized trial of pretransfusion/azathioprine/prednisone versus
cyclosporine/prednisone immuniosuppression in cardiac transplantation. Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Goldman MH, Katz MR, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang TC, Mohanakumar T, Lower RR and Hess
ML: Cir 72 1985;Suppl II:227-230.
Management of Cystosarcoma Phyllodes: A reassessment. Barnhart GR, DeBlois GG, Kay S and
Neifield JP: Breast 1985;11(2):17-23.
Cyclosporine in cardiac transplantation. Goldman MH, Barnhart GR, Mohanakumar T, Wetstein
L, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang TC and lower RR: Surg Clin N A 1985;65(3): 637-661.
Recurrent midline hernia repair. Wagman LD, Barnhart GR and Sugerman JH: Surg Gynecol
The complex multi-system injured patient. Gervin AS and Barnhart GR: Monograph published
by Eli Lilly and Company, 1984.
The Medical College of Virginia Cardiac Transplantation Program, 1968-1984. Hastillo A,
Wolfgang TC, Goldman MH, Katz M, Barnhart GR, Thompson JA, Szentpetery S, Mohanakumar
T, Lower RR and Hess ML: J Heart Transplant 1984;4:29-30.
The late prognosis after localized resection for fixed (discreet and tunnel) left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Moses RD, Barnhart GR and Jones M: J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1984;87:410-420.
Immunologic monitoring in orthotopic cardiac transplantation: Prospective random donor transfusions. Goldman MH, Mohanakumar T, Wolfgang TC, Szentpetery S, Ellis T, Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Hess ML, Less HM and Lower RR: Transplant Proc 1983;15:1982-1985.
Monitoring in cardiac transplantation. Goldman MH, Mohanakumar T, Barnhart GR, Lippman R,
Muakkassa WR, Ellis T, Szentpetery S, Lee HM, Lower RR: Transplantation Proc 1983;15(3):1982-1984.
Does secondary cardioplegia provide long-term recovery from ischemic injury? Rose DM,
Barnhart GR and Jones M: Ann Thorac Surg 1983;35:79-86.
Intracuspal hematomas in porcine bioprosthetic valves. Pathological observations and clinical implications. Barnhart GR, Ishihara T, Ferrans VJ, Jones M, McIntosh CL and Roberts WC:
Circulation 66 August 1982; Suppl 1:167-171.
Failure of porcine aortic and bovine pericardial bioprosthetic valves: An experimental
investigation in young sheep. Barnhart GR, Jones M, Ishihara T, Chaves AM, Jett GK, Rose DM
and Ferrrans VJ: Circulation 66 August 1982; Suppl 1:150-153.
Late results after operations for left ventricular outflow obstruction. Jones M, Barnhart GR and Morrow AGH: Am J Cardiol 1982;50:569-579.
Degeneration and calcification of bioprosthetic cardiac valves. Barnhart GR, Jones M,
Ishihara T, rose DM, Chaves AM and Ferrand VJ: Am J Path 1982;106:136-139.
Intracuspal hematomas in porcine bioprostheses. Ishihara T, Ferrans VJ, Barnhart GR, Jones
M, McIntosh CL and Roberts C: Clinical and experimental studies. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1982;83:618-633.
Early and late hemodynamic evaluation of crystalloid and blood cardioplegic solutions.
Rose DR, Koch JP, Barnhart GR and Jones M: Surg Forum 1980;31:293-295.
Brunner’s gland adenomas. Clinical presentation and surgical management. Barnhart GR
And Maull KI: Southern Med J 1979;72:1537-1539.
Mechanical and biochemical effects of transient myocardial ischemia. Hess ML, Barnhart
GR, Crute S, Komwatana P, Krause S and Greenfield LJ: J Surg Res 1979; 26:175-184.
1. Jones M, Barnhart GR, Chaves AM, Jett GK, Rose DM, Ishihara T and Ferrans VJ: Experimental evaluation of bioprosthetic valves implanted in sheep. Chapter in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Cardiac Bioprostheses, ed. Cohn LH, New York, 1982, Churchill-Livingston.
2. Ferrans VJ, Ishihara T, Jones M, Barnhart GR, Kravitz AB, Boyce SW and Roberts WC: Pathogenesis and stages of bioprosthetic infection. Chapter in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Cardiac Bioprostheses, ed. Cohn LH, New York, 1982, Churchill-Livingston.
3. Jones M, Barnhart GR and Morrow AG: Late results after operations for left ventricular outflow obstruction. Chapter in Congenital Heart Disease After Surgery. Benefits, Residue and Sequelae, ed. Engle MA and Perloff JK: 105-132, Yorke Medical Publishers, New York, 1983.
4. Barnhart GR and Lower RR: Cardiac Transplantation. Chapter in Organ Transplantation, ed. Cerelli J. pub. By Lippincott, 1987.
5. Barnhart GR, Pascoe EA, Mills SA, Szentpetery S, Eich DM, Mohanakumar T, Hastillo A, Thompson JA, Hess ML and Lower RR: Accelerated coronary arteriosclerosis in cardiac transplant recipients. Chapter in Transplantation Reviews, Volume I, ed. Morris PJ and Tilney N, pub. by Grune and Stratton, 1987.
6. Eich DM, Johnson DE, Hastillo A, Thompson JA, Barnhart GR, Ko D, Lower RR and Hess ML: Accelerated Coronary Arteriosclerosis in Cardiac Transplantation. Chapter in Cardiac Transplantation, ed. Mark Thompson, 1990.
1. Gervis AS and Barnhart GR. Critical Decisions in Surgery: The Complex Multi-System Insured Patient. An educational program from Eli Lilly and Company, produced by Park Row Publishers, New York, 1984.
2. Hampton Roads Health Focus: Heart Failure. An educational program by the staff and physicians of the Heart Failure Program, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. WVEC (Channel 13) March 31, 2003.
3. Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement with St. Jude Regent Valve, 2006.
4. Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement with Magna Valve, 2009.
5. Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair, 2009.
6. “Your Pathway to Minimally Invasive Surgery.” Webinar sponsored by Edwards Life Sciences, September 16, 2009.
1. Youssef SJ, Barnhart, GR: Re-operative minimally invasive mitral valve replacement using Endodirect cannulation. Submitted to Journal of Heart Valve Disease. May, 2012.
2. Youssef SJ, Millan JA, Youssef GM, Barnhart GR. CT angiography is mandatory for patients undergoing minimally invasive cardiac surgery. Innovations: Technology and Techniques in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. 2010;5(3):223.
3. Herre JM, Barnhart GR, Llano A: The Bicaval Anastomosis has Eliminated the Need for Permanent Pacing after Orthotopic Heart Transplantation: Local Experience and Meta Analysis. PACE 2000;23:597.
4. Barnhart GR, Baker LD, Szentpetery S, Rich J, Hagberg RC, Eich DM, Old WD, Arnold AN, Herre JM: A Prospective Nine Year Single Center Experience with Steroid Avoidance in Heart Transplantation: A Call for a Multicenter U.S. randomized trial. Transplantation 1999;67(7):S26.
5. Prabhakaran K, Herre J, Tenzer MM, Baker LD, Rich JB, Szentpetery S, Barnhart GR: Pre and Post-Transplant Survival and Quality of Life of Patient with End State Congestive Heart Failure: Implications for Organ Allocation, Survival and Cost. J Heart/Lung Trans 1996.
6. Zaritsky AL, Trippel D, Derkac W, Morris AD, Smith M, Barnhart GR, McDaniel L: Outcome Analysis at Immediate Postoperative Extubation of Children Undergoing Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Critical Care Medicine 1996;24(1):A137.
7. Taylor DO, Thompson JA, Hastillo A, Barnhart GR, Lower RR, Rise S and Hess ML: Immunosuppression in cardiac transplantation without prednisone: A comparison of cyclosporine/prednisone to cyclosporine/azathioprine. JACC 1988;11:104A.
8. Greenfield DT, Barnhart GR and Hess ML: Superoxide dismutase plus catalase enhance crystalloid cardioplegia. Asso for Acad Surg 1987.
9. Thompson JA, Eich D, Ko D, Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Lower RR and Hess ML: Hypercholesterolemia as a marker of early coronary artery disease post cardiac transplantation. Circ 1987;76:167.
10. Hess ML, Hastillo A, Thompson JA, Szentpetery S, Barnhart GR and Lower RR: Accelerated Coronary atherosclerosis: Cardiac transplantation and cyclosporine immunosuppression. Cir 1985;76:205.
11. Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Goldman MH, Katz MR, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang TC, Thompson JA, Mohanakumar T, Lower RR and Hess ML: A prospective randomized trial of pretransfusion/azathioprine/ATG/prednisone vs. cyclosporine/prednisone in cardiac transplantation: Progress report. Heart Transplantation Feb 1985;4(2)(Suppl):115.
12. Katz MR, Goldman MH, Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang TC, Hess ML and Lower RR: Pre transplant transfusions in cardiac allograft recipients. Circulation 1984;70(Suppl II):11.
13. Barnhart GR, Hastillo A, Goldman M, Szentpetery S, Wolfgang TC, Mohanakumar T, Lower RR and Hess ML: A prospective randomized trial of pretransfusion/azathioprine/prednisone versus cyclosporine/prednisone immunosuppression in cardiac transplantation. Circulation 1984;70(Suppl II):173.
14. Barnhart GR, Ishihara T, Ferrans VJ, Jones M, McIntosh CL and Roberts WC: Intracuspal hematomas in porcine bioprosthetic valves: Pathology observations and clinical implications. Circulation October 1981;64(Suppl IV):77.
15. Barnhart GR, Jones M, Ishihara T, Chavez AM, Rose DM and Ferrans VJ: An experimental investigation of failure of Hancock and Ionescu-Shiley bioprostheses. Circulation 1981;64(Suppl IV):77.
16. Barnhart GR, Jones M and Morrow AG: Late results of operation for discreet subaortic stenosis. Am J Cardiol 1981;42:437.
1. Emerging Options for Aortic Valve Replacement: Competitive or Complementary. American Association for Thoracic Surgery, 92nd Annual Meeting. San Francisco, California. Session Chairman. April 27-30, 2012.
2. Introductory Minimal Incision Valve Surgery. Cadaver course sponsored by Edwards Lifesciences. Seattle Science Foundation, Seattle, Washington. Director and Moderator. October 10-11, 2011.
3. Upper Mini Sternotomy vs. Right Anterior Thoracotomy for AVR – Which, When and On Whom? American Association for Thoracic Surgery, 91st Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 7-11, 2011.
4. Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery: A Necessity for the Patient, the Surgeon and the Community. 10th Annual OLV College, Aalst, Belgium. Faculty and Moderator. June 21-23, 2010.
5. Mini Upper Sternotomy for Aortic Valve Replacement: Safe, Reliable, Reproducible. Postgraduate Course. International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2010 Annual Meeting. Berlin, Germany, June 16-19, 2010.
6. CT Angiography is Mandatory for Patients Undergoing Evaluation for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery. International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2010 Annual Meeting. Berlin, Germany, June 16-19, 2010.
7. Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery for Left Atrial Myxoma: A Case Report & Video Presentation. 19th World Congress of the World Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons. Buenos Aires, Argentina, November 4-6, 2009.
8. MIS AVR: Right-sided Approach. Ninth Annual OLV College, Aalst, Belgium. Faculty and Moderator. June 22-24, 2009.
9. The Evolution of Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery. Ninth Annual OLV College, Aalst, Belgium. Faculty and Moderator. June 22-24, 2009.
10. Youssef S, Barnhart GR: Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery for Left Atrial Myxoma: A Case Report and Video Presentation. American College of Surgeons 4th Combined WA/OR Chapters Annual Meeting. Lake Chelan, Washington. June 13-16, 2009.
11. All Rings are the Same. Dallas Leipzig International Valve Conference, Dallas, Texas. April 23-25, 2009.
12. SIS 2009 Cardiology Nurse/Tech Symposium. Swedish Heart and Vascular Institute, Seattle, Washington. Faculty. January 23, 2009.
13. Minimally Invasive AVR: Comparison of Mini Sternotomy vs Intercostal Approach. Aortic Valve Symposium. Las Vegas, Nevada. September 19, 2008.
14. Transcatheter Valve Therapies. Swedish Heart and Vascular Institute, Seattle, Washington. Faculty. June 6-8, 2008.
15. Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery. Baylor Heart Hospital. Course Director. April 20-22, 2008.
16. Minimally Invasive Valve Surgery. Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. Course Moderator. August 27-28, 2007.
17. Evolution of Minimally-Invasive Heart Surgery: Application in current era Cardiac Surgery. Sentara Norfolk General, Cardiac Ground Rounds (Cath/Echo Conference), March 2, 2007.
18. Minimally-Invasive Cardiac Surgery. Sentara Norfolk General, Cardiac Ground Rounds (Cath/Echo Conference), May 9, 2006.
19. McElhaney JE, Barnhart GR, Dahling MJ, Beachamps M, Ainsworth V, Zimbro KS, Burk B: Management of Postoperative Delirium in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting or CABG Surgery. Presented to the American Geriatric Association, Las Vegas NV, May 18, 2004.
20. Surgical Options For Congestive Heart Failure. The Homestead, Hot Springs, Virginia. (Guidant Corporation), May 2003.
21. Cardiac Surgery Update 2001. Norfolk Rotary Club, Norfolk, Virginia, March 27, 2001.
22. Donor Evaluation, Implantation, and Early Postoperative Management. Heart Failure: Beyond Medical Therapy, sponsored by Sentara Healthcare, Norfolk Waterside Marriott, February 22, 2001.
23. Prevention of Perioperative Stroke Following Coronary Bypass Surgery. Grand Rounds, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, January 14, 2000.
24. Prahakaran K, Barnhart GR, Arnold A and Herre JM: High Incidence of Human Rejection with Micothinolate Mofetil/Cyclosporin Immunosuppression After Heart Transplantation. Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and Eastern Virginia Medical School. Cleveland Clinic Poster Presentation, October 9, 1998.
25. Newton JR Jr, Szentpetery S, Crisler C, Grinnan GLB, Baker LD Jr, Azar H, Derkac WM, Barnhart GR and Rich JB: Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery. Presented to the Virginia Surgical Society, Williamsburg, Virginia, May 1993.
26. Newton JR Jr, Crisler C, Grinnan GLB, Baker LD Jr, Azar H, Derkac WM, Barnhart GR, Szentpetery S and Rich JB: Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery. Presented to the Virginia Medical Society, Norfolk, Virginia, November 1992.
27. Thoracic Trauma. Emergency Medicine for the Primary Care Physician, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 26, 1987.
28. Conventional versus cyclosporine immunosuppression in heart transplantation. Clinical Workshop on Cyclosporine, Buffalo, New York 1985.
29. A prospective, randomized trial of pretransfusion/azathioprine/prednisone versus cyclosporine/prednisone immunosuppression in cardiac transplantation: A progress report. 5th Annual Scientific Session, International Society for Heart Transplantation, Anaheim, California, 1985.
30. A prospective, randomized trial of pretransfusion/azathioprine/prednisone versus cyclosporine/prednisone immunosuppression in cardiac transplantation: Preliminary results. 57th Scientific Session, American Heart Association, Miami Beach, Florida, 1984.
31. Combined drainage for pancreatic, biliary and gastric obstruction in chronic pancreatitis. 31st Annual Meeting, Virginia Surgical Society, Hot Springs, Virginia, 1984.
32. Management of Cystosarcoma Phyllodes: A reassessment. Joint Meeting of the Society of Surgical Oncology and the Society of Head and Neck Surgeons, New York, 1984.
33. Intracuspal hematomas in porcine bioprosthetic valves: Pathological observations and clinical implications. 54th Scientific Session, American Heart Association, Dallas, Texas, 1981.
34. An experimental investigation of failure of Hancock and Ionescu-Shiley bioprostheses. 54th Scientific Session, American Heart Association, Dallas, Texas, 1981.
35. Experimental investigation of bioprosthetic valve failure. Resident Symposium, 104th Annual Meeting of the Medical Society of Virginia, Norfolk, Virginia, October 21-25, 1981.
36. Late results of operation for discrete subaortic stenosis. 30th Annual Scientific Session, American College of Cardiology, San Francisco, California, 1981.
37. Brunner’s gland adenomas: Clinical presentation and surgical management. 72nd Annual Scientific Assembly, Section on Surgery, Southern Medical Association, Atlanta, Georgia, 1978.
38. Myocardial effects of transient ischemic arrest. David M. Hume Memorial resident Paper, 14
The Patient Rating score is based on responses given during the CAHPS Patient Experience Survey.Responses are measured on a 10 - point scale, with 10 being the best score. These scores are then translated to a 5 - point scale in order to display results in a 5 - star rating.Comments are also gathered from the same survey and displayed in their entirety with the exception of any language that may be considered slander, libel or contain private health information, which will be removed prior to publishing the comments.