CLINICAL PASTORAL EDUCATION
The purpose of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is to engage students in self-discovery and to provide an opportunity for them to learn about pastoral care under supervision. Level I CPE focuses on evaluating and developing their personal and pastoral identities. Level II CPE focuses on developing and refining their ministry skills.
Clinical Pastoral Education students are expected to reflect on their interpersonal relationships as they minister as part of the interdisciplinary health-care team. In addition to clinical experiences, students are given opportunities to learn about selected issues from experts within the medical center and from the community.
The typical peer group is made up of students who have an undergraduate degree, theological education and some clarity regarding career goals.
Currently, Swedish CPE offers:
• 9 month Residency
September - May
NOTE: We are no longer accepting applications for the 2013 - 2014 residency year.
• Summer Internship
June - August (10 weeks)
Curriculum and Program Schedule
During the course of the program, students take part in:
• Direct ministry with patients, families and staff
• On-call responsibilities
• Group supervision including verbatim seminars, small process group meetings and theological reflection
• Didactic seminars on issues related to spiritual care and hospital chaplaincy
• Submit a completed Clinical Pastoral Education Application (PDF)
• Application Fee: $40
• You will be contacted within two weeks after receipt of your completed application and your application fee regarding the next steps in your application process.
1. Must have a high-school diploma/GED
2. Residency applicants who have completed at least one unit of ACPE-accredited CPE will be given preference.
• $500 per unit
Swedish is an Accredited Center to offer Level I, Level II and Supervisory Education by: The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103, Decatur, GA 30033. Telephone: 404-320-1472; Fax: 404-320-0849 www.acpe.edu
First Hill: 206-386-2082