BEARS is a user-friendly screening tool to help identify sleep problems in children.
Ask yourself these questions.
B - Bedtime
- Does my child have trouble going to bed? Or
trouble falling asleep?
E - Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Is my child difficult to awaken in the morning?
- Does my child seem sleepy or groggy during the day?
- Does my child often seem tired during the day? (In children, 'tired' may mean moody,
hyperactive, or “out-of-it”, as well as sleepy.)
A - Awakening During the Night
- Does my child awaken during the night and have trouble going back to sleep?
- Is anything else interrupting my child’s sleep?
R - Regularity and Duration of Sleep
- How many hours of sleep does my child need at this age?
- What time does my child go to bed and get up? On weekdays? On weekends?
- Does this allow my child to get enough sleep every day?
S - Snoring
- Does my child snore? Loudly? Every Night?
- Does my child stop breathing, gasp, or choke during sleep?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, your child may have a sleep problem that should be discussed with your pediatrician or a pediatric sleep specialist.