- Sleep terrors occur during deep sleep.
- They usually occur a few hours after people fall asleep and last 5 to 20 minutes.
What Causes Night Terrors?
The cause is unknown, but is often related to:
- Can occur with new medicine or sleeping away from home
What are the symptoms?
- Seeing frightening images
- Rapid heart rate
- Moving arms/legs
- Sleep walking
- After a night terror, they may not remember the episode or can only remember frightening images.
Call your doctor if night terrors last for a month or more, with many episodes nightly. Also call your doctor if other symptoms occur with the night terror or night terrors cause injuries.