Questions to Ask your OB Provider
Find an OB Provider
Call 206-386-BABY (2229)
If you'd like to have your baby at Swedish, let us help you find a doctor or midwife.
Find a caregiver 24/7
How do you shop for a doctor or midwife? Good question.
Even if you’ve decided you definitely want a midwife, or a family-practice doctor, or an OB/GYN, you still have to determine which one. The best way to do that is to call the office of the providers on your short list and arrange for an initial appointment. Check out the directory of the providers at each Swedish campus or call 206-386-BABY and talk with someone who can help you choose one. Then make your appointments, and take along these questions (plus something to write the answers on) when you go see them.
- How long have you been in practice? How many babies do you help deliver each month?
- What’s your overall philosophy about prenatal care and childbirth? How would you describe your role during my baby’s birth?
- Do you work with other providers? When might another provider be involved in my care?
- Can you tell me more about high-risk versus low-risk pregnancies?
- How do I reach you if I have an emergency? Or just questions or concerns?
- What happens during my prenatal appointments? How long are they, and how often?
- Can I have family or friends with me in the room during the birth and afterward?
- What are your thoughts on inducing labor? What about C-sections?
- What are my options for managing pain?
- Can I go in a tub during labor, and labor in a variety of positions?