Diet for Minimizing Diarrhea
- Stop all juice and regular soda.
- Avoid products containing Splenda.
- Use Lactaid treated milk, water or Crystal Light.
- For children over 1 year of age, try Pediasure. It offers good calories and nutrients, and is lactose free.
- Avoid sugar-free gums and candy; the sorbitol and xylitol act as laxatives. These are also in apple juice!
- Children need fat and fiber in their diet. Both act as a brake and slow down gut transit time.
- Bananas, rice, complex starches may help. Minimize simple sugars.
- Watch food and drinks with fructose:
- Sunny D, Capri Sun, Frutopia
- Bottled teas such as Arizona tea
- Vitamin waters
- Fruit roll-ups
- "Fake" fruit snacks
- Jelly beans
Visit our Parentelligence Blog!
It's all about smart parenting. Check it out