Social Services Resources

Following is a list of social services resources in our community for multiple sclerosis patients.This list includes where to get information about housing, food, legal and other assistance. Similar organizations also exist in many areas outside our region.

Social Service Agencies

Assistance for Living at Home

  • Minor Home Repair – repair service for Seattle homeowners, age 60 and over. Can build wheelchair ramps, etc. No labor charge, and materials are available at reduced fee scale. Call Union Retirees Program/Labor Program 206-448-9277.
  • Spokane County Community Services Dept – design consultation for accessible homes. North 721 Jefferson, Suite, 403, Spokane, WA 99260.
  • Tacoma Area Coalition of Individuals with Disabilities TACID promotes the independence of people living with disabilities with counseling and housing assistance. Call 253-565-9000.

Home Modifications

Housing Options

Food and Nutrition

  • Chicken Soup Brigade provides meals to people with MS who live in King County, are unable to cook for themselves, are low income and are not eligible for Meals on Wheels. Call 206-957-1686.
  • Meals on Wheels - Not based on income, takes 7-10 days to set up. Provides up to 14 meals per week. Free to those 60 or older. Under 60 years old charged $3.45 per meal. Call 206-448-5767.
  • Senior Services of Seattle/King County – Has listings for congregate meal sites for seniors. Some may accept non-seniors with disabilities. Call 206-448-3110.

Energy Assistance

Legal Advice

  • Disabilities Law Project – Washington Coalition of Citizens with Disabilities - Handles disability law cases involving civil rights, housing, transportation, government services and public accommodations. Focus is on system change issues. 4649 Sunnyside Ave. N, Ste. 100, Seattle , WA 98103-6900. Call 206-633-6637.
  • Columbia Legal Services – Specialized legal help for disabled persons, especially those who are low income. 
  • Lifetime Advocacy Plus - Guardianship; protective services; financial management; durable power of attorney; other services/arrangements for seniors, mentally ill, other disabilities. 11000 Lake City Wy. NE, Ste. 401, Seattle , WA 98125-6748. Call 800-364-9755 or 206-367-8055. 
  • Northwest Justice Project - Information advice/referral system called CLEAR (Comprehensive Legal Advice Education and Referral), which is a toll-free advice system operating in 25 of Washington’s counties. Advocates are attorneys or highly experienced paralegals. Referrals for representation. Disability, Family, Housing / Home, Legal, Medical / Dental, Miscellaneous, Senior, Victims. 401 - 2nd Ave. S, Ste. 407, Main/Administrative Office, Seattle , WA 98104. Call 888-201-1012; 888-201-1014, new client intake line; 206-464-1519.
  • Washington Coalition of Citizens with Disabilities – 4649 Sunnyside N, Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98103, Phone 206-461-4550.

Pet/Veterinary Assistance

Insurance Issues

Veteran Support

  • Paralyzed Veterans of America, Northwest Chapter - A major advocacy group for those with MS. Information/referral, recreation, sports, advocacy, hospital liaison. 616 SW 152nd Street Suite B, Burien, WA 98166, 800-336-9782 or 206-241-1843.
  • The Veterans Administration MS Centers of Excellence are dedicated to further our understanding of the disease, its impact on Veterans, and effective treatments to help manage MS symptoms. This site can assist Veterans in accessing VA benefits and in identifying MS care providers in their region.