The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done.
Tests for Cortisol Levels
- 24-hour urinary free cortisol level-Urine is collected for 24 hours and tested.
- Late-evening cortisol saliva/blood level-Saliva or blood is collected around 11 pm and tested.
- Dexamethasone suppression test-A synthetic cortisol called dexamethasone is taken by mouth; blood and urine samples may be taken overnight or over several days.
Tests to Determine Cause of Cushing's Syndrome
- CRH stimulation test
- ACTH level
- High-dose dexamethasone suppression test
X-rays and Scans
These tests may show whether there is a tumor in the pituitary or adrenal glands or another area of the body. Common imaging tools include:
- MRI scan-a test that uses magnetic waves to make pictures of the inside of the body
- CT scan-a type of x-ray that uses a computer to make pictures of structures inside the body
- Chest x-ray-which may detect tumors in the lungs
Copyright © 2009 EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.
Swedish Pituitary Center550 17th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Map & Directions
Diagnosed with a pituitary tumor?
Many treatments offer long-term solutions.
Need a second opinion?
Watch and learn
In a series of 8 videos, Dr. Mayberg discusses pituitary tumors and their treatment.
How you can help
Swedish is constantly working to ensure patients with debilitating neurological disorders have access to the best treatment options, the latest technology, and state-of-the-art facilities.
What to expect during your hospital stay
Take a personalized interactive tour, click here.