Reduced fares are available for patients with disabilities served by Community Transit, Everett Transit, Intercity Transit, Jefferson Transit, Kitsap Transit, Metro Transit, Pierce Transit, Seattle Waterfront Streetcar, Seattle Monorail, and the Washington State Ferries. Permits are available through the customer service offices of the transit authorities at (206) 447-4824.
The Streetcar, Monorail and Ferry systems do not issues permits, but honor those issued by the transit authorities.
Hyde Shuttles is operated by Senior Services. It provides free transportation to those with disabilities and seniors in the Seattle metropolitan area.
- Van services are available to those who have a disability that prevents them from using a lift-equipped bus. This program is called the Access program. The service will pick you up at your home and take you to your appointment for 50 cents a trip. Application forms are available through Metro at (206) 689-3113. It must be signed by a health care professional. It can take up to 21 days to process your application. Please see Paratransit for more information.
- Transportation Brokers for those with medical coupons. Call at least 24 hours before your appointment. In King County, call 1-800-923-7433.
- Volunteer Transportation for seniors is available to those 60 years of age or older, of lower income and residing in King County. You need to be able to transfer yourself in and out of the car. Some drivers are able to handle wheelchairs. Contact (206) 488-5740.
- Dial-a-ride transportation (DART). In Snohomish County, please see http://www.dialaride.org/. In King County please see http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/dart/dartinfo.html
- American Automobile Association - Provides the “AAA Disabled Drivers’ Mobility Guide”. Contact: Traffic Safety and Engineering, 1000 AAA Dr., Heathrow, FL 21746
- Amtrak, Access Amtrak – Handicapped room on trains with bathroom, rails, easy access, etc. Contact: King St Station, 3rd and Jackson, Seattle, WA 98104, Phone (206) 246-1350
- Disabled Parking Permits: The State of Washington issues disabled parking permits to those with disabilities. Permits are available in the MS clinic, or through the Department of Licensing (where you get your driver’s license).
- Discount Taxi Fares for the disabled. Contact Metro Customer Assistance Office at (206) 447-4824.
- Rental Cars – Many rental car companies will install hand controls in a car to be rented by a person who needs them. Most require one week advance reservation.
Multiple Sclerosis Center1600 East Jefferson
Seattle, WA 98122
How You Can Help
Swedish is constantly working to ensure patients with debilitating neurological disorders have access to the best treatment options, the latest technology, and state-of-the-art facilities.