Getting a Second Opinion
At the Swedish Cerebrovascular Center, we’re happy to give second opinions to patients who are considering brain aneurysm treatment at another hospital. And we support our own patients in seeking a second opinion if that will provide additional peace of mind.
You may want a second opinion if:
- You have a complicated or unusual brain aneurysm.
- Your surgeon suggests a particular treatment and you want to know if there are other options.
- You want confirmation of your test results and more information about your condition.
- Your aneurysm needs a complicated treatment such as bypass surgery, or a stent/coil treatment.
While you might feel a bit hesitant to get a second opinion because you don’t want to offend your surgeon, remember that the vast majority of physicians actually welcome second opinions. A second opinion can validate your surgeon’s own thinking and provide additional information to improve your proposed treatment plan.
Getting a second opinion
Here at the Swedish Cerebrovascular Center, we see many brain aneurysm patients seeking a second opinion. If you’d like a second opinion from us, call us at 206-320-3470 for an appointment. We’ll do our best to assure a prompt appointment with one of our surgeons. We can also arrange for medical records, images and lab reports to be sent to the right place.
What to ask
When getting a second opinion, consider asking these questions:
- Have you reviewed all the reports and images related to my case?
- Were the images and test results sufficient to make a firm diagnosis?
- Would another test or procedure give more complete information?
- If you agree with the initial diagnosis, can you recommend any revisions to the proposed treatment plan?
- Can you reassure me that we have explored all options?
Swedish Cerebrovascular Center550 17th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122
Map & Directions
Find out more about brain aneurysm treatment options, hear from a board certified surgeon and watch a video from a patient's perspective.
Patient Education: Brain Aneurysms
How you can help
Swedish is constantly working to ensure patients with debilitating neurological disorders have access to the best treatment options, the latest technology, and state-of-the-art facilities.
Support for Cerebrovascular Patients
Have a question about brain aneurysm services at Swedish?
Want to be part of our Cerebrovascular Support Group?
Email us or call the CerebrovascularSupport Line: 206-320-4985