Advanced Airway Course
The Gossman Center for Advanced Healthcare Simulation at Swedish is pleased to offer the Airway Management Course as a didactic and hands-on learning experience for physicians who are interested in improving their airway management skills. The board-certified faculty from the Department of Anesthesiology at Swedish Medical Center use simulation manikins to teach advanced airway techniques. Participants practice and acquire the skills needed to confidently manage adult and pediatric airway.
2014 Course Dates
- Wednesday, February 5, 1-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 9, 1-5 p.m.
- Thursday, September 11, 1-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 18, 1-5 p.m.
- Develop effective hands-on techniques and strategies used in managing adult and pediatric patients in non-emergency and emergency situations.
- Formulate a specific plan for appropriate use of anesthetic induction drugs and muscle relaxants in facilitating airway management in adult and pediatric patients for non-emergency and emergency airway management.
- Identify potentially difficult airways and situations where expert consultation is indicated based on the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Difficult Airway Algorithm.
- Demonstrate a systematic approach for the management of the difficult airway through proper utilization of devices and techniques including fiberoptic intubation, videolaryngoscopy, laryngeal mask airway, bag mask ventilation, oral airways, nasal airways, direct laryngoscopy and introducers, (Eschmann stylets), exchange catheters (Cook catheters), percutaneous cricothyrotomy and jet ventilation during a high-fidelity patient simulation scenario
Lecture: Airway Management Strategies and Approach to Difficult Airway
Lecture: Pharmacology of Anesthetic Induction Medications and Neuromuscular Blockers
Hands-on practice at simulation stations
- Videolaryngoscopy (adult and pediatric)
- Laryngeal Mask Airway (LMA) and Intubating LMA
- Bag Mask Ventilation, Oral airways, Nasal Airways
- Direct Laryngoscopy and Introducers (Eschmann stylets), Exchange Catheters (Cook catheters)
- Percutaneous Cricothyrotomy and Jet Ventilation
- Difficult Airway Scenario with High-Fidelity Simulator
This four-hour course is appropriate for physicians who are interested in improving airway management skills with advanced airway techniques (fiberoptic intubation, videolaryngoscopy, etc.). It is particularly appropriate for physicians in the following specialties:
Minimum/Maximum Number of Participants: 6-12
- $370/person for Swedish and contracted physicians
- $470/person for all other physicians
Fees are payable by credit card at time of registration.
Register online at www.swedish.org/gossmancentereducation
*Our online registration system is currently down, to register for the Nov. 18 session please call one of the numbers below:
Alex Salvador: 206-215-1717
Carly Williams: 206-215-4365
Lily Cohen: 206-215-2785
To reschedule or cancel your registration, please call 206-215-1710. You may reschedule up to five (5) business days prior to your scheduled course date without penalty or fees.
Cancellations received at least five (5) days prior to the scheduled course date incur a $35 processing fee. The remainder of the registration fee will be refunded.
There are no refunds or rescheduling available if the request is received fewer than five (5) business days prior to the scheduled course date.
Gossman Simulation Center
600 Broadway, Suite 304
Seattle, WA 98122
Complimentary parking is available beneath the 600 Broadway Building. Turn east onto Cherry from Broadway. The entrance to parking is on the right at the bottom of the hill. We will provide a parking voucher for use when exiting the parking garage.
In addition to regularly scheduled classes, physician groups can schedule private classes with a minimum of six (6) participants.
Sharon Lin, M.D., Director, Anesthesiology Simulation
Kevin Kogut, M.D., Director, Perioperative Quality and Patient Safety
Tim Higgins, M.D., Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Jennifer Lee, M.D., Staff Anesthesiologist
William Nichols, M.D., Staff Anesthesiologist
Manuela Sousa, M.D., Pediatric Anesthesiologist
For more information about scheduled or private classes, contact Theresa Demeter firstname.lastname@example.org.