Getting a Second Opinion
Talk to Someone or Make an Appointment
With a diagnosis as potentially life-changing as cancer, it’s vitally important to get the right advice. At the Swedish Cancer Institute, we believe that second opinions are often a good idea. We’re happy to give them to patients who have received a diagnosis elsewhere, and we support our own patients in seeking another opinion if that will give them additional peace of mind.
If you’d like a second opinion from the Swedish Cancer Institute, give us a call. Our care coordinators will help determine which physician you should see and help set up an appointment. They also can help arrange for medical records, images and lab reports to be sent to the right place.
If you decide to seek a second opinion, here are some questions you should consider asking:
- Have you reviewed all of the reports and images related to my case?
- Was the image/lab test/biopsy report sufficient to make a firm diagnosis?
- Would another test give us more complete information?
- If you agree with the initial diagnosis, can you confirm or recommend revisions to the proposed treatment plan?
- Can you reassure me that we have explored all of our options?