Adult Procedural Sedation
Please note: These modules will not work on Internet Explorer 10 or 11. If you are currently using either of these browsers, please use a different browser to complete these modules. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working quickly to get the problem resolved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
To provide clinical management guidelines and competency for the purpose of ensuring uniformity of care provided to patients receiving procedural sedation.
This online module is intended for Licensed Independent Practitioners (LIPs), including physicians and allied health professionals with appropriate credentials, such as certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) and advanced registered nurse practitioners (ARNP).
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to provide better patient care through an increased ability to:
- Prepare and evaluate patients prior to sedation
- Distinguish between the different levels of sedation and recognize when a patient's level of sedation progresses from moderate to deep
- Identify the drugs commonly administered to induce moderate procedural sedation
- Manage side effects and complications of moderate procedural sedation
CME Content Developers
Bruce Webster, M.D., Chair
Mary Gregg, M.D.
Greg Marsh, M.D.
Marie Arnone, R.N., M.A., CCRN
The planning committee members have no financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
No commercial support was used in the development of this CME learning activity.
Accreditation with Commendation
Swedish Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Swedish Medical Center designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Adobe Flash Player 10 or later (http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash)
If you have Windows, Microsoft Media Player 9.0 or later (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/download-windows-media-player)
If you have Windows or Macintosh, Microsoft Silverlight 5.0 or later (http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx)
One of the following Web browsers (the stated version or later):
- Windows: Internet Explorer 7.0 (Versions 10 and 11 currently do not work with this module), Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome, Safari 3, Opera 9.5
- Macintosh: Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome, Safari 4.0, Microsoft Silverlight 5.0
- Linux: Firefox 3.6
To print your Certificate of Completion at the end, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Follow the instructions on that page to download and install the software.
This is a self-learning module requiring reading and answering questions related to the content. The learner must complete all answers accurately in order to successfully complete the course.
Estimated Time to Complete
Allow one hour to complete the training module and exam.
If you are a credentialed provider at Swedish, Overlake, Skagit Regional Health or United General Hospital, there is no registration fee. Hospital affiliation will be verified and your registration fee will be covered directly by the respective hospital. All other providers will be charged a $35 registration fee to claim credit for completing the activity.
Release Date: January 1, 2013
End Date: December 31, 2015
Content Questions: Marie Arnone, R.N., M.A., CCRN at 206-320-2579
Administrative Questions: Medical Staff Services at 206-386-2550
Technical Questions: CME at 206-386-2755
Privacy & Confidentiality
This learning activity is the property of Swedish Medical Center.
Read all materials before completing the online self-assessment.
- Procedural Sedation: Adult Clinical Procedure (printable pdf)
- Procedural Sedation: Adult Addendum 1 (printable pdf)
- Procedural Sedation: Adult Addendum 2 (printable pdf)
- Adult Procedural Sedation Self-Learning Packet (printable pdf)
CME credit will be granted only if your quiz score is 100%.
- If asked, "Would you like to resume the quiz where you left off?" click "No."
After passing the quiz, you will be directed to:
- Complete the CME Evaluation of this activity
- Register to record participation and claim credit
- Print your CME Certificate
Swedish Medical Staff Services is automatically notified after you complete this module.