Philosophy of Care
To provide the most advanced, evidence-based care with compassion
Surfing, spending time with my family, travelling
New York University School of Medicine
Neurology, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Interventional Neuroradiology and Neurocritical Care, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Neurology, Neurocritical Care
English, Chinese (Shanghai dialect)
American Academy of Neurology, Neurocritical Care Society, Society of Neuro-Interventional Surgery, World Federation of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology
UCLA Physician of the Year award, John M Hallenbeck award, RSNA presentation award, Omar Bradley award, Madigan Golden Apple Award for teaching excellence
Dr. Loh was voted "Top Doctors" in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine (2012)
Nearly 4,500 physicians, nurses and physician assistants in King, Kitsap and Snohomish counties nominated colleagues they would choose to treat themselves and their loved ones.
Selected peer-reviewed publications (out of 32).
1. Loh Y and Duckwiler GR. Intracranial mechanical thrombectomy. Surgical Endovascular Neuroradiology. In press.
2. Shi ZS, Loh Y, Liebeskind, DS, Feng L, Jahan R, Gonzalez NR, Tateshima S, Vespa PM, Starkman S, Salamon N, Villablanca P, Ali LK, Ovbiagele B, Kim D, Saver JL, Viñuela F, Duckwiler GR. Leukoaraiosis predicts intracerebral hemorrhage after mechanical thrombectomy in acute ischemic stroke. Stroke; ePub ahead of print.
3. Loh Y, Shi ZS, Liebeskind DS, Jahan R,Tateshima S, Gonzalez N, Vespa PM, Miller C, Starkman S, Saver JL, Viñuela F and Duckwiler GR. Incomplete mechanical recanalization of middle cerebral artery occlusions promotes further ongoing recanalization within 24 hours. J Neurointerv Surg; ePub ahead of print.
4. Loh Y, Liebeskind DS, Shi ZS, Jahan R, Gonzalez NR, Tateshima S, Vespa PM, Starkman S, Saver JL, Viñuela F, Duckwiler GR. Partial recanalization of complex internal carotid – middle cerebral arterial occlusions promotes distal recanalization of residual thrombus within 24 Hours. J Neurointerv Surg 2011; 3: 38-42.
5. Loh Y, Liebeskind DS, Towfighi A, Vespa PM, Starkman S, Saver JL, Gonzalez NR, Tateshima S, Shi Z, Jahan R, Shi ZS, Viñuela F and Duckwiler GR. Pre-Intervention basal ganglionic infarction increases the risk of hemorrhagic transformation but not worse outcome following successfulrecanalization of acute middle cerebral artery occlusions. World Neurosurgery 2010; 74(6): 636-40.
6. Shi ZS, Liebeskind DS, Loh Y, Saver JL, Starkman S, Vespa PM, Gonzalez NR, Tateshima S, Jahan R, Feng L, Miller CM, Ali LK, Ovbiagele B, Kim D, Duckwiler GR, Viñuela F; UCLA Endovascular Stroke Therapy Investigators. Predictors of subarachnoid hemorrhage in acute ischemic stroke with endovascular therapy. Stroke 2010; 41(12): 2775-81.
7. Loh Y, McArthur DL, Vespa PM, Shi ZS, Liebeskind DS, Jahan R, Gonzalez NR, Starkman S, Saver JL, Tateshima S, Duckwiler GR, Fernando Viñuela F. The risk of acute radiocontrast-mediated kidney injury following endovascular therapy for acute ischemic stroke is low. AJNR Am J Neurorad. 2010; 31(9): 1584-7.
8. Loh Y, Duckwiler GR; Onyx Trial Investigators. A prospective, multi-center, randomized trial of Onyx liquid embolic system and N-butyl cyanoacrylate embolization of cerebral arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg 2010; 113(4): 733-41.
9. Loh Y, Kim D, Shi ZS, Tateshima T, Vespa PM, Gonzalez NR, Starkman S, Saver JL, Jahan R, Liebeskind DS, Duckwiler GR, Viñuela F. Higher rates of mortality but not morbidity follow intracranial mechanical thrombectomy in the elderly. AJNR Am J Neurorad. 2010; 31(7): 1181-5.
10. Shi ZS, Loh Y, Walker G, Duckwiler GR; MERCI and Multi MERCI Investigators. Endovascular thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke in failed intravenous tPA versus non-intravenous tPA patients: revascularization and outcomes stratified by the site of arterial occlusions. Stroke. 2010; 41(6): 1185-92.
11. Shi ZS, Loh Y, Walker G, Duckwiler GR; MERCI and Multi MERCI investigators. Clinical outcomes in middle cerebral artery trunk occlusions versus secondary division occlusions after mechanical thrombectomy: pooled analysis of the MERCI and Multi MERCI trials. Stroke. 41(5): 953-60.
12. Loh Y, Towfighi A, Liebeskind DS, MacArthur DL, Vespa PM, Gonzalez NR, Tateshima S, Starkman S, Shi ZS, Jahan R, Viñuela F and Duckwiler GR. Basal ganglionic infarction prior to mechanical thrombectomy predicts poor outcome. Stroke 2009; 40: 3315-20.
13. Shi ZS, Loh Y, Duckwiler GR, Jahan R, Viñuela F. Balloon-assisted transarterial embolization of intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas. J Neurosurg 2009; 110(5): 921-8.
14. Loh Y, McArthur DL, Jahan R, Duckwiler GR, Viñuela F. Safety of endovascular intracranial aneurysm therapy using three-dimensional rotational angiography: a single center experience. Surg Neurol 2008; 69(2):158-163.
15. Loh Y and Duckwiler GR. Extracranial stenosis: endovascular treatment. Neuroimag Clin N Am 2007; 17(3): 325-36.