To provide the best care for patients with brain and spinal cord tumors.Position Summary
Director, Neurology and Associate Chief Medical Director, SNIAdditional Information
John William Henson IV, MD, MBA, FAAN, FANA
Vice President of Medical Affairs
Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill campus
Swedish Medical Center
Administrative Address - Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill
500 17th Avenue, Professional Building, Suite 402
Seattle, WA 98122
Clinical Address - Ivy Center for Advanced Brain Tumor Treatment
550 17th Avenue, Suite 540
Seattle, WA 98122
Place and Date of Birth Chattanooga, Tennessee
January 3, 1958
1980 BA Southern Adventist University, Collegedale, TN
1984 MD Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA
2013 MBA University of Washington Foster School of Business
Internal Medicine Loma Linda University Medical Center
Neurology Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1987-88 Chief Resident
Neurology Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Neuro-oncology Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
1990-91 Clinical Scholars
Neuro-oncology Biomedical Research Training Program
Fellow Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center/NCI
1990 Summer Student Neurobiology
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Program in Neurobiology
Managing Technical Sloan School of Management
Professionals and Executive Program
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
IT for the non-IT Executive
Sloan School of Management Executive
Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Enhancing Executive Influence
John F. Kennedy School of Government
2000 Student Leadership Development for Physicians in Academic Health Centers
Harvard School of Public Health
2001 Student Primer: Philanthropy
New England Association for Healthcare Philanthropy
2001-03 Fellow Diagnostic Neuroradiology
Massachusetts General Hospital, Division of Neuroradiology
2008 Fellow Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum
2011 Student News Entrepreneur Bootcamp
Knight Digital Media Center, Annenberg School for Communication
USC Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
University of Southern Californina
2013 Observer Eric Lewis, CEO
Olympic Medical Center, Port Angeles, WA
Licensure and Certification (Active)
1989 Certification in Neurology
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
2008 Washington State Medical License
2011 Certification in Neuro-oncology\
United Council on Neurological Subspecialties
1991-93 Instructor in Neurology
Harvard Medical School
1994-99 Assistant Professor of Neurology
Harvard Medical School
1999-2008 Associate Professor of Neurology
Harvard Medical School
2010-present Clinical Associate Professor of Neurology
University of Washington School of Medicine
Hospital or Affiliated Institution Appointments
1991-93 Assistant in Neurology Massachusetts General Hospital
1994-99 Assistant Neurologist Massachusetts General Hospital
1999-03 Associate Neurologist Massachusetts General Hospital
1998-01 Executive Director Brain Tumor Center Massachusetts General Hospital
2003-08 Associate Neurologist (Radiologist) Massachusetts General Hospital
2003-08 Staff Neuroradiologist Massachusetts General Hospital
2003-08 Neuroradiology Reviewer Partners Tumor Imaging Metrics Core
2003-08 Director Stephen E. and Catherine Pappas Brain Tumor Imaging Research Program
2003-08 Medical Advisor Stephen E. and Catherine Pappas Neuro-oncology Nurse Practitioner Research Program
2005-08 Research Associate, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital
2008-present Member Swedish Neuroscience Institute
2008-13 Director, Neurology Division, Swedish Neuroscience Institute
2009-present Member Swedish Cancer Institute
2009-present Neuroradiologist Swedish Medical Center
2011-13 Associate Chief Medical Director Swedish Neuroscience Institute
2011-present Board of Directors, Swedish Neuroscience Institute Physicians Medical Group
2013 Chairman, Board of Directors, Swedish Neuroscience Institute Physicians Medical Group
2013-present Vice President of Medical Affairs Swedish Medical Center, Cherry Hill
Major Committee Assignments
1996-98 Subcommittee on Human Research (Institutional Review Board) Massachusetts General Hospital
1999 Residency Selection Committee Partner's Neurology Program MGH/Brigham and Women's
2000-01 Cancer Center Executive Committee MGH Cancer Center
2000-01 Clinical Performance Management Neurology Team Co-Leader MGH Neurology Service
2001 Cancer Center Space Planning Steering Committee MGH Cancer Center
2001-03 Managed Care and Contracting Committee Massachusetts General Physician’s Organization
2009-present SNI Research Steering Committee Swedish Neuroscience Institute
2009-present Swedish Continuing Medical Education (CME) Committee Swedish Medical Center
2010-present Chairman, Data Safety Monitoring Board, “A Phase II study of the combination of high-dose methotrexate and intrathecal liposomal cytarabine in patients with parenchymal and leptomeningeal metastases from breast cancer.”
University of Washington Medical Center/Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
2010-present SCI Research Steering Committee Swedish Cancer Institute
2011-present Cancer Committee Swedish Cancer Institute
2012-present Chair NeuroNEXT Industry Outreach Committee NINDS/NeuroNEXT
2012 Chair Economic Disruption in Healthcare Foster-Premera Symposium
American Academy of Neurology
1986-present Member American Academy of Neurology
1998-present Fellow American Academy of Neurology
1998-present Member Section on Neuro-oncology
1998-2006 Executive Committee Section on Neuro-oncology
1998-01 Scientific Topic Chair Section on Neuro-oncology
2000-05 Preuss Award Subcommittee American Academy of Neurology
2002-04 Chair Section on Neuro-oncology
2002-present Science Committee American Academy of Neurology
2005-06 Director Enhanced Vertical Integration
Section on Neuro-oncology
2005-08 Director Neurological Complications of Systemic Cancer, Educational Course, Annual Meeting
2005 Plenary Address Contemporary Clinical Issues and Case Studies Plenary Session 2005 Annual Meeting
2006-present Member UCNS Neuro-Oncology Board Examination Committee
2007-09 Science Editor AAN.com
2007-09 Chair Futurist Work Group Science Committee
2007-09 Member Boxing Task Force Science Committee
2008-09 Member Public Relations Committee
2008 Fellow Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum
2008-present Participant Neurology on the Hill
2008-present Member Brain PAC
American College of Healthcare Executives
American Neurological Association
2007-present Active Member
2008 Member Abstract Review Committee
American Society of Clinical Oncology
2006 Invited Speaker “Advanced Neuroimaging for Brain Tumors” Meet the Professor Education Session
European Association for Neuro-oncology
Northwest Science Writers Association
2010-11 At-Large Member Board of Trustees
2010-11 Founding Editor NSWA ScienceWire http://nwscience.org/sciencewire/
2011 Founder NSWA Career Development Awards http://nwscience.org/
2011 Chair Awards Subcommittee
Society for Neuro-oncology
2012-present Editorial Board Neuro-Oncology
Washington State Medical Association
Washington State Neurological Society
2009-10 Vice President/President Elect
2011-13 Immediate Past President
World Congress of Neurology
2005 Invited Speaker Plenary Session on Neuro-oncology, Sydney, Australia
1993-present Ad hoc reviewer Cancer
1994-presnt Ad hoc reviewer Journal of Neurology and Experimental Neuropathology
1996-present Ad hoc reviewer Journal of Neuro-Oncology
1997-presnt Ad hoc reviewer New England Journal of Medicine
1998-present Ad hoc reviewer Journal of NeuroVirology
1999-present Ad hoc reviewer Journal of Clinical Oncology
2000-01 Topic editor Current Opinion in Neurology
2003-present Ad hoc reviewer Journal of Neuroimaging
2005-present Ad hoc reviewer Journal of Clinical Microbiology
2006 Reviewer Clinical Research Infrastructure Initiative Medical Research Council, The Wellcome Trust, London, UK
2006-present Ad hoc reviewer Neuro-oncology
2006-present Ad hoc reviewer Neurology
2006-present Ad hoc reviewer European Journal of Neurology
2007-09 Associate Editor for Science AAN.com
2007 Advisory Board Member Adams and Victor’s Principles of Neurology
2008-present Editor BrainWaves, newsletter of the Swedish Neuroscience Institute tiny.cc/snibrainwaves
2009-11 Editor Website Washington State Neurological Society www.washingtonneurology.org/
2010-presnt Founding editor SNIblog.com http://sniblog.com
2010-11 Member Board of Directors Northwest Science Writers Association
2010-11 Founding editor NSWA ScienceWire http://nwscience.org/sciencewire/
2011-present Ad hoc reviewer Neurohospitalist
2012-3 Editorial Board Neuro-Oncology
2005-present Central Neuroradiology Review Perceptive Informatics, Inc. and GlaxoSmithKline, PLC
2008-present Scientific Advisor Perceptive Informatics, Inc.
2010-present Clinical Advisor Neuroscience Centers of Excellence Survey NeuStrategy, Inc.
2012-presnt Chair NeuroNEXT Industry Outreach Committee NINDS/NeuroNEXT
2012-present Founding Member, Webmaster NeuroNeighborhood Seattle Neurotech Cluster
1993-2008 Director Brain Tumor Research Fund
1999 Invited speaker MGH Visiting Committee Lecture
1999-2008 Medical Director Strides of Survival Annual walk for MGH Brain Tumor Research Fund
1999-2008 Medical Co-Director Brian D. Silber Memorial Golf Tournament
Annual golf tournament for MGH Spine Tumor Center
2001-06 Medical Director Santa Lucia Annual Dinner for the MGH Brain Tumor Research Fund
2003 Lead solicitor $5.7 million gift to MGH Brain Tumor Center, establishing the Stephen E.
Pappas Center for Neuro-oncology and Stephen E. Pappas Neuroimaging Research Program,
as well as a nursing research program and grants program
2004-06 Medical Director DiPlacido Annual Dinner for the MGH Brain Tumor Research Fund
Awards and Honors
1985 Outstanding First Year Resident Department of Internal Medicine Loma Linda University Medical Center
1986 Alpha Omega Alpha Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Housestaff Member
1988 Sandoz Award, Neurology Department Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1999 Partners in Excellence Award MGH/Partners HealthCare System
2007 Alumnus of the Year Southern Adventist University Collegedale, TNBibliography
1. Henson JW, Brace RA. An intravascular protein osmometer. Am J Physiol 1983;244:H726-9.
2. Kirshner HS, Casey PF, Henson J, Heinrich JJ. Behavioral features and lesion localization in Wernicke's aphasia. Aphasiology 1989;3:169-176.
3. Henson JW, Wiley RG. CNS chloromas in patients presenting with eosinophilia. Neurology 1989;39:1386-8.
4. Henson JW, Jalaj JK, Walker RW, Stover DE, Fels AOS. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with primary brain tumors. Arch Neurol 1991;48:406-9.
5. Szabo A, Dalmau J, Manley G, Henson J, Posner JB, Furneaux HM. HuD, a paraneoplastic encephalitis antigen contains RNA binding domains and is homologous to Elav and Sex-lethal. Cell 1991;67:325-333.
6. Henson JW, Rosenblum M, Armstrong D, Furneaux H. Amplification of JC virus DNA from brain and cerebrospinal fluid of patients with progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Neurology 1991;41:1967-1971.
7. Henson JW, Cardo-Cardon C, Posner JB. P-glycoprotein expression in brain tumors. J Neuro-Oncol 1992;14:37-43.
8. Newton H, Henson J, Walker RW. Extraneural metastases in ependymoma. J Neuro-Oncol 1992;14:135-142.
9. Henson JW, Saffer JD, Furneaux H. The transcription factor Sp1 binds to the JC virus promoter and is selectively expressed in glial cells in human brain. Ann Neurol 1992;32:72-7.
10. Henson JW. Regulation of the glial-specific JC virus early promoter by the transcription factor Sp1. J Biol Chem 1994;269:1046-1050.
11. Ueki K, Richardson EP, Henson JW, Louis DN. In situ PCR demonstration of JC virus in PML, including an index case. Ann Neurol 1994;36:670-3.
12. Henson JW, Schnitker BL, Correa KM, vonDeimling A, Fassbender F, Xu H-J, Benedict WF, Yandell DW, Louis DN. The retinoblastoma gene is involved in malignant progression of astrocytomas. Ann Neurol 1994;36:714-721.
13. Alderson LM, Castleberg RL, Rubio MP, Schnitker BL, Louis DN, Henson JW. Human gliomas with wild-type p53 express bcl-2. Cancer Res 1995;55:999-1001.
14. Henson JW, Schnitker BL, Lee TS, McAllister J. Cell-specific activation of the glial- specific JC virus early promoter by large T antigen. J Biol Chem 1995;270:13240-5.
15. Ueke K, Henson JW, Louis DN. CKDN2/p16 or RB alterations occur in the majority of glioblastomas and are inversely related. Cancer Res 1996;56:150-3.
16. Alderson LM, Henson JW. Regional subacute cranial neuropathies following intracarotid cisplatin. Neurology 1996;47:1088-1090.
17. Moyaeri NN, Henson JW, Schaefer PW, Zervas NT. Spinal dural enhancement associated with spontaneous intrancranial hypotension. J Neurosurg 1998;88:912-8.
18. Pomerantz HD, Henson JW, Lessell S. Cerebral radiation blindness. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1998;126:609-611.
19. Shafqat S, Hedley-Whyte ET, Henson JW. Age-dependent rate of anaplastic progression in low-grade astrocytomas. Neurology 1999;52:867-9.
20. vanGorder MA, Della Pelle T., Henson JW, Cosimi AB, Colvin RB. Polyomavirus infection of cynomolgus monkeys in tolerance protocols receiving renal allografts of baboon xenografts. Am J Pathol 1999;154:1273-1284.
21. Henson JW, Yang J, Batchelor T. Vitreous methotrexate concentration after high-dose intravenous therapy for primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:1329.
22. Kennedy DN, O’Craven KM, Ticho BS, Goldstein AM, Makris N, Henson JW. Structural and functional brain asymmetries in human situs inversus. Neurology 1999;53:1260-1265.
23. Kim H-S, Goncalves N, Henson JW. Glial-specific regulation of the JC virus early promoter by large T antigen. J Virol 2000:74;755-763.
24. Henson JW, Thornton AF, Louis DN. PCV chemotherapy for spinal cord astrocytoma. Neurology 2000;54:518-520.
25. Tortosa A, Ino Y, Odell N, Swilley S, Louis DN, Henson JW. Molecular genetics of radiographically defined de novo glioblastoma multiforme. Neuropathol App Neurobiol 2000;26: 544-552.
26. von Deimling A, Fimmers R, Schmidt MC, Bender B, Fassbender F, Nagel J, Jahnke R, Kaskel P, Duerr EM, Koopmann J, Maintz D, Steinbeck S, Wick W, Platten M, Muller DJ, Przkora R, Waha A, Blumcke B, Wellenreuther R, Meyer-Puttlitz B, Schmidt O, Mollenhauer J, Poustka A, Stangl AP, Lenartz D, von Ammon K, Henson JW, Schramm J, Louis DN, Wiestler OD. Comprehensive allelotype and genetic analysis of 466 human nervous system tumors. J Neurol Exp Neuropathol 2000;59:544-58.
27. Rabinov JD, Lee PL, Barker FG, Louis DN, Harsh IV GR, Cosgrove GR, Chiocca EA, Thornton AF, Loeffler JS, Henson JW, Gonzalez RG. In Vivo MRS at 3 Tesla Predicts Recurrent Glioma vs. Radiation Effects - Initial Experience. Radiology 2002;225:871-879.
28. Kim S-Y, Woo M-S, Kim W-K, Choi E-C, Henson JW, Kim H-S. Glial Cell-Specific Regulation of the JC Virus Early Promoter by Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors. J Virology 2003;77:3394-3401.
29. Batchelor TT, Del Checcolo G, Ciordia R, Foster C, Henson JW. High-dose intravenous methotrexate chemotherapy for intra-ocular lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2003;9:711-715.
30. Lev ML, Ozsunar Y, Rasheed AA, Henson JW, Barest GD, Harsh GR, Fitzek MM, Chiocca EA, Rabinov JR, Csavoy AN, Hochberg FH, Rosen BR, Schaeffer PW, Gonzalez RG. Glial Tumor Grading and Outcome Prediction using Dynamic Spin-Echo MR Susceptibility Mapping compared to Conventional Contrast Enhanced MRI: Confounding Effect of Elevated relative Cerebral Blood Volume of Oligodendrogliomas. Am J Neuroradiol 2004;25:214-21.
31. Henson JW, Nogueira, RG, Covarrubias DJ, Gonzalez RG, Lev M. Gadolinium Contrast CT Angiography of the Circle of Willis and Neck. Am J Neuroradiol. Am J Neuroradiol 2004;25:969-972.
32. Kim SK, Choi E-C, Henson JW, Kim H-S. Transcriptional Activation Of JC Virus Early Promoter By Phorbol Ester And Interlukin-1?: Critical Role Of Nuclear Factor-1. Virology 2004;327:60-69.
33. Gaviani P, Gonzalez RG, Zhu J-J, Batchelor TT, Henson JW. Central Neurogenic Hyperventilation in Brainstem Glioma: Elevation of Tumor and CSF Lactate as Detected by MRS. Neurology 2005;64:166-167.
34. Gaviani P, Schwartz RB, Hedley-Whyte E, Ligon KL, Robicsek A, Schaefer P, Henson JW. Diffusion weighted imaging of fungal cerebral infection in immunocompromised patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005;26:1115-1121.
35. Henson JW, Hobbs W, Chakravarti A, Louis DN. Alterations in p53, p21, and MIB-1 labeling index in primary human astrocytomas following radiation therapy. J Neuro-oncol 2005;74:151-154.
36. Mavrakis AN, Halpern EF, Barker FG, Gonzalez RG. Henson JW. Optimization of Biopsy Site Selection in the Diagnostic Evaluation of Patients with a Newly Detected Brain Mass. Neurology 2005;65:908-911.
37. Aghi M, Gaviani P, Henson JW, Batchelor TT, Louis DN, Barker FG. Magnetic resonance imaging characteristics predict EGFR amplification status in glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res 2005;11:8600-8605.
38. Gavini P, Mullins ME, Braga TA, Hedley-Whyte ET, Halpern EF, Schaefer PS, Henson JW. Improved detection of metastatic melanoma by T2*-weighted imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2006;27:605-608.
39. Kim SY, Kim DH, Hyun JW, Henson JW, Kim HS. Irisolidone, an isoflavone metabolite, represses JC virus gene expression via inhibition of Sp1 binding in human glial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2006;344:3-8
40. Noronha V, Berliner N, Ballen KK, Lacy J, Kracher J, Baehring J, Henson JW. Treatment-related myelodysplasia/AML in a patient with a history of breast cancer and an oligodendroglioma treated with temozolomide: case report and review of the literature. Neuro-oncology 2006;8:280-283.
41. Chou RC, Henson JW, Tian D, Hedley-Whyte ET, Reginato AM. Successful Treatment of Rheumatoid Meningitis with Cyclophosphamide but not Infliximab. Ann Rheum Dis 2006;65(8):1114-1116.
42. Ulmer S, Braga TA, Barker II FG, Lev M, Gonzalez RG, Henson JW. Clinical and radiographic features of peritumoral infarction following resection of malignant gliomas. Neurology 2006;67:1668-1670.
43. Nemeth AJ, Henson JW, Mullins ME, Schaefer PW. Improved detection of skull metastasis with diffusion-weighted imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007;28(6):1088-92.
44. Krejcarek SC, Grant PE, Henson JW, Tarbell NJ, Yock, TI. Physiologic and radiographic evidence of the distal edge of the proton beam in craniospinal irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007;68(3):646-9.
45. Eichler AF, Batchelor TT, Henson JW. Diffusion and perfusion imaging in subacute neurotoxicity following high-dose intravenous methotrexate. Neuro-oncology 2007;9:373-377.
46. Henson JW, Cascino GD, Post ME. International Science at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2007 69:1712-1714.
47. Farrell CJ, Hoh BL, Pisculli ML, Henson JW, Barker FG, Curry WT. Limitations of diffusion-weighted imaging in the diagnosis of postoperative infections. Neurosurgery 2008 62:577-583.
48. Lin NU, Carey LA, Liu MC, Younger J, Come SE, Ewend M, Harris G, Bullitt E, van den Abbeele A, Henson JW, Li X, Gelman R, Burstein HJ, Kasparian E, Crawford A, Kirsch DG, Hochberg F, Winer E. Phase 2 Trial of Lapatinib for Brain Metastases in Patients with HER2-Positive Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008 26:1993-1999.
49. Eichler AF, Kuter I, Ryan P, Schapira L, Younger J, Henson JW. Survival after diagnosis of brain metastasis in breast cancer: Importance of Her2 status. Cancer 2008 112:2359-2367.
50. Sher DJ, Henson JW, Avutu B, Hochberg F, Batchelor T, Martuza R, Barker F, Loeffler JS, Chakravarti A. The Added Value of Concurrently-Administered Temozolomide Versus Adjuvant Temozolomide Alone in Newly-Diagnosed Glioblastoma. Neuro-oncology 88:43-50.
51. Kesari S, Schiff D, Henson JW, Muzikansky A, Gigas DC, Doherty L, Batchelor TT, Longtine JA, Ligon KL, Weaver S, Laforme A, Ramakrishna N, Black PM, Drappatz J, Ciampa A, Folkman J, Kieran M, Wen PY. Phase II study of temozolomide, thalidomide, and celecoxib for newly diagnosed glioblastoma in adults. Neuro Oncol 2008 10:300-308.
52. Wei SC, Ulmer S, Lev MH, Pomerantz SR, Gonzalez RG, Henson JW. Value of coronal reformations in CT evaluation of acute head trauma. Am J Neuroradiol 2010 31:334-339.
53. Jung AK, Henson JW, Susanto D, Caylor LM, Doherty MJ. Holohemispheric developmental venous anomaly. Neurology (in press)
54. Shaw T, Lev MH, McGowan J. Henson JW. Mohawk Hematoma: Subgaleal Decompression of a Vertex Venous Epidural Hemorrhage. (submitted)
55. Ulmer S, Barker FG, Henson JW. Multifocality in newly diagnosed malignant glioma. (in preparation)
Book Chapters and Reviews
56. Henson JW, Jalaj JK, Walker RW, Stover DE, Fels AOS. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with primary brain tumors. Clinical Digest Series. 1992.
57. Henson JW, Posner JB. Neurological complications of cancer and its treatment. In: Holland J, Frei E, eds. Cancer Medicine. 3rd ed., 1993. Malvern, Pennsylvania: Lea and Febiger.
58. Henson JW, Ferraro MJ. Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. N Engl J Med1993;329:1335-1341.
59. Henson JW. Neurological complications of malignant melanoma and other cutaneous malignancies. In Wiley R., ed. Neurological Complications of Cancer. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1995.
60. Alderson LM, Henson JW. Neurological complications of breast cancer. In Samuels M., ed. Office Practice of Neurology, 1996. New York: Churchill Livingstone.
61. Henson JW. Coupling JC virus transcription and replication. J NeuroVirology 1996;2:57-59.
62. Henson JW. Promoters for the expression of gene products in neurons and glia. In Chiocca EA, Breakefield XO, eds. Gene Transfer and Therapy for Neurological Diseases, 1998.
63. Cher L, Henson JW, Hochberg FH. Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. In Vinken PJ, and Bruyn GW, ed. Handbook of Clinical Neurology Vol. 27 (71): Systemic Diseases Part III Chap 27, M.J. Aminoff and C.G. Goetz, series editors, 1998 Elsevier Science B.V.
64. Avgeropoulos N, Henson JW. Primary meningeal sarcomas. In Johnson D, et al. eds. Textbook of Uncommon Cancer 1999.
65. Henson JW. Glioblastoma, anaplastic astrocytoma, and anaplastic oligodendroglioma. A patient guide. MGH Brain Tumor Center, 1999.
66. Henson JW. A guide to chemotherapy for patients with high-grade gliomas. MGH Brain Tumor Center, 1999.
67. Henson JW, Louis DN. Edward Pierson Richardson Jr., M.D. and the discovery of PML. J Neurovirol 1999:5;325-326.
68. Henson JW. Early genetic events in the formation of astrocytomas. In Curr Opin Neurol 2000;13:613-617. Henson JW, ed.
69. Sharis C, Henson JW. Neurological complications of radiation therapy. Up-to-Date. 2001.
70. Kim H-S, Henson JW, Frisque RJ. Transcription and replication in the human polyomaviruses. In Human Polyomaviruses: Molecular and Clinical Perspectives. Khalili K, and Stoner GL, eds. 2001.
71. Henson JW. Spinal cord gliomas. In Curr Opin Neurol 2001;14:679-682. Henson JW, ed.
72. Jeyapalan S, Henson JW. Neurologic Complications of Lung Cancer. In Wen P, Schiff D, eds., Neurological Complications of Cancer, 2002.
73. Henson JW, Batchelor TT. Intra-ocular lymphoma. In Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma. Batchelor TT, ed. 2004.
74. Henson JW, Gonzalez RG. Imaging of nervous system tumors. In: Neurology in Clinical Practice. Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankvic J, eds. 2004.
75. Henson JW. Update on primary brain tumors: Imaging. American Society of Clinical Oncology. Syllabus, Educational Program. 2004. pp 116-119.
76. Henson JW, Gonzalez RG. Neuroimaging of glioma therapy. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2004; 4:665-671.
77. Henson JW, Gonzalez RG. Imaging. In: Cancer of the Nervous System. Loeffler J, and Black PM, eds. 2004.
78. Henson JW, Gaviani P, Gonzalez RG. Magnetic resonance imaging in the therapy of adult gliomas. Lancet Oncology 2005;6:167-175.
79. Korf BR, Henson JW, Stemmer-Rachimimov A. Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. N Engl J Med 2005;352:1800-1808.
80. Henson JW. Treatment of Glioblastoma multiforme: A new standard. Arch Neurol 2006;63:337-341.
81. Henson JW, Ackerman RA, Barker II FG. Comment on Petrik V et al. Godfrey Hounsfield and the dawn of computed tomography. Neurosurgery 2006;58:787.
82. Cole AJ, Henson JW, Roehrl MHA, Frosch MP. Case 24-2007: A 20-Year-Old Pregnant Woman with 5 Altered Mental Status. New Engl J Med 2007;357:589-600.
83. Ulmer S, Harris G, Henson JW. Neuroimaging issues in assessing response to brain tumor therapy. In Newton HB and Jolesz FA. Handbook of neuro-oncology neuro-imaging. Elsevier 2007.
84. Vossough A, Gonzalez RG, Henson JW, Schaefer PW. Brain metastasis. In Newton HB and Jolesz FA. Handbook of neuro-oncology neuro-imaging. Elsevier 2007.
85. Henson JW, Avitzur O. The online neurologist Nat Clin Pract Neurol. 2007 3:589.
86. Vossough A, Gonzalez RG, Henson JW. Imaging neurologic manifestations of oncologic disease. In Schiff D, Kesari S, and Wen PY. Cancer Neurology in Clinical Practice. Humana Press 2008.
87. Henson JW, Ulmer S, Harris GJ. Brain Tumor Imaging in Clinical Trials. AJNR 2008 29:419-424.
88. Henson JW. Neurology patients online: perceptions and reality. Nat Clin Pract Neurol 2008 4:347.
89. Pruitt A, Henson JW. Equal care for the elderly with low-grade gliomas? Neurology 2009 73:2056-2057.
90. Henson JW, Jung LK. Neurology on the Internet. In Avitzur O, Neurol Clin 2010 28:385-393.
91. Henson JW, Keogh BP. Plasticity: Teaching an old brain new tri