New Insurance Exchange Information
As part of national health care reform, almost all Americans are required to have health insurance as of Jan. 1, 2015 or risk a tax penalty. The goal is to make coverage more accessible and affordable for those who do not currently have health insurance or have limited coverage.
Individuals and families may either qualify for private insurance coverage available through health insurance exchanges or for state-sponsored Medicaid coverage.
Individual insurance coverage
Open enrollment is currently closed for private insurance coverage from a qualified health plan, except for people who experience certain qualifying life events. In Washington, certain other exceptions also apply. The Washington Healthplanfinder will reopen in November 2014 to enroll those who would like to purchase coverage for 2015.
If you qualify for Medicaid, or Apple Health, you may apply at any time throughout the year. In Washington, applications can be made through the Washington Healthplanfinder:
- Online: www.wahealthplanfinder.org
- Call: 1-855-WAFINDER (1-855-923-4633) or TTY/TTD 1-855-627-9604
- Swedish: In-person Assisters will be available at all Swedish hospitals and Emergency Departments. For more information, call 206-386-6996.
- Glossary of Terms
- Information for individuals/families from Washington Health Benefit Exchange
- Federally Qualified Health Centers Contact Sheet
- Citizen and Immigration Eligibility Chart
- Refugee Resettlement Assistance Provider List
Health Insurance Questions? We’re Happy to Help.
Get in touch with the Swedish Customer Service Line at 206-701-7771 between 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays (except some holidays.)
Free Help Sessions
Drop in enrollment sessions are being held at Swedish to assist those signing up for a new plan (or renewing one) through the Health Benefit Exchange.
- Tuesday, Nov. 25, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Swedish Cherry Hill
- Wednesday, Dec. 3, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Swedish Mill Creek
If you can't attend, then make an appointment to come in for assistance. Call Swedish at 206-386-6996 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.