For Those With Special Needs
We work to ensure that all of our patients and visitors are able to communicate clearly and comfortably with their caregivers. The following services are available to assist patients and their family members who are deaf, hard of hearing or deaf-blind, or who have limited English proficiency. Please share your specific need and preferred form of communication at the time you schedule an appointment or when you arrive at Swedish. If you speak a language other than English and need the assistance of an interpreter, please notify Swedish staff. You may also call (206) 386-6000, state your language, and the Swedish operator will connect you to a telephonic interpreter who will assist you with your request. Patients with hearing loss may also call the TDD/TTY line at (206) 386-2022.
Please see our Menu of Assistive Devices and notify staff of your special need when you schedule an appointment or visit Swedish.
To assist you in your communication needs, we have a number of assistive aids and services. To request these services, ask any caregiver.
- Portable telecommunication devices (TDD's) and Hospital Kits that include a TDD/TTY Text telephone, a telephone hand-set amplifier, a PocketTalker personal amplifier with headphones, a door beacon light, and an alarm clock with vibrator
- Baby-cry signalers that include a transmitter and two-way receivers for inpatient mothers in Labor and Delivery
- Sign-language and Lip Reader interpreters for people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing
- Tactile interpreters for people who are deaf-blind
- On-site and telephonic language interpretation services
- Signage and patient materials translated into several languages
- Closed-captioned television
- Braille signage for offices, bathrooms, and elevators
- Assistance in reading patient consent forms and materials
- Wheelchair accessibility, and assistance as needed
- Accessible disabled parking
- Other assistance as requested
Hospital Kit for Patients with Hearing Loss
In association with the Hearing Loss Association of Washington, Swedish has developed a Hospital Kit for Patients with Hearing Loss for patients with special communication needs that includes communication aids, information brochures, signage and alert cards to give to your providers. Please feel free to request a Hospital Kit when you arrive for your stay.
For any other services or special requests, please call us.
Linguistic Services Department
Seattle, WA 98122
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Swedish Edmonds campus
What to Expect During Your Hospital Stay
Prepare for your hospital stay with this interactive tutorial.
Now available to patients at most Swedish clinics
Welcome to Swedish hospital guide
Online Gift Shop
delivery to patients at First Hill campus. Shop now!
Order by phone, proceeds benefit patient care
First Hill: 206-386-2747
Cherry Hill: 206-320-3278
Personalized Patient websites
Keep family and friends updated with a free, personalized Web site from Caring Bridge.