Managing Patients in Alcohol Withdrawal
Please note: These modules will not work on Internet Explorer 10 or 11. If you are currently using either of these browsers, please use a different browser to complete these modules. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working quickly to get the problem resolved. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The goal of this self-learning module is to enable clinicians with prescriptive authority and other caregivers to manage alcohol-dependent patients through safe withdrawal.
This educational module is intended for physicians, nurses, PAs and ARNPs who practice in adult Acute Care and ICU at Swedish.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to provide better patient care through an increased ability to:
- Discuss prevalence of alcohol dependence encountered in hospitalized patients in the U.S.
- Describe the progression of alcohol withdrawal
- Define when to use the Clinical Institute Withdrawal Assessment for Alcohol (CIWA) or Modified Ramsay Scale to assess alcohol withdrawal
- Review assessment and treatment considerations for patients on high-dose continuous infusions of lorezepam
- Apply principles of effective communication with persons with alcohol dependence
- Outline ICU treatment options for patients in withdrawal who are not responsive to standard treatment
Planning Committee and Content Developers
James Walsh, M.D., Course Chair
Carol Lund, BSN, R.N., Clinical Education and Practice
Jessica Martinson, MS
The planning committee members have no relevant financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
No commercial support was used in the development of this CME learning activity.
Accreditation with Commendation
Swedish Medical Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Swedish Medical Center designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Adobe Flash Player 6,0,79 or later.
One of the following Web browsers (the stated version or later):
- Windows: Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 1, Google Chrome, Safari 3, Opera 9.5, Netscape 7, AOL 8, CompuServe 7
- Macintosh: Firefox 1, Google Chrome, Safari 3, Opera 9.5, Netscape 7, AOL 7
- Linux: Firefox 1, Opera 9.5, Konqueror 3.3.1
To print your Certificate of Completion at the end, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Follow the instructions on that page to download and install the software.
This is a self-learning module requiring the participant to read educational materials and answer questions related to the content.
Estimated Time to Complete
Allow 30 minutes to complete the self-learning module and exam.
Release Date: November 1, 2011
End Date: October 31, 2014
Content: Clinical Education: 206-320-2338
Administrative: Swedish CME: 206-386-2755 or email
Privacy & Confidentiality
This learning activity is the property of Swedish Medical Center.
Swedish Medical Staff, Employee, Resident
Medical Student, Resident or Fellow
Begin CME Activity