Patient Safety Resources
Every hospital and medical practice, provider and administrator has a role to play in ensuring the safe delivery of health-care services. The most successful programs, however, also include engaged patients who are informed and actively participating in their own care.
Because of our commitment to safe patient care, Swedish Medical Center is providing this site as a quick and easy way for providers to find online patient safety resources. Check this page frequently as new information, tools and links will continue to be added.
Be SMART About Medical Imaging
Many industries use radiation to visualize inside objects. In health care, radiation is a valuable tool to screen for, diagnose and treat numerous medical and dental conditions. Learn more about the benefits of medical imaging and the limited risk from exposure to radiation during these procedures. Be SMART about medical imaging.
Hand hygiene is the single most important factor in preventing the spread of infection. The following resources are available to help make hand hygiene a routine habit by educating health-care providers, patients, visitors and vendors about this simple, yet critical, practice.
- Hand-Hygiene Guidelines by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Interactive Training Video & Posters for Health-care Professionals (courtesy of CDC)
- Patient Admission Hand Hygiene Video (in English and Spanish - courtesy of CDC)
- Handout on Hand Hygiene for Patients (courtesy of Swedish Medical Center)
- Five Things You Can Do To Prevent Infection (patient brochure - courtesy of The Joint Commission)
- Hand-Hygiene Guidelines and Campaign by World Health Organization
Providing simple, low-cost tools for patients to keep track of their medications and take notes during their appointments on their prescription is one way to engage patients in their care. The following forms may be downloaded, printed and distributed.
- Personal Medication Record (wallet-size)
- New Medication? Questions to Ask Your Provider (for patients who wish to take notes during appointment)