Eras Applicant Process
Applications will be accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service for General Surgery (ERAS) MyERAS.
We have two Designated Preliminary positions (NRMP number 1755440P0) and three Categorical positions (NRMP number 1755440C0). Application submission and appointment dates are those put forth by the NRMP http://www.nrmp.org/ . Appointments to the R1 categorical and preliminary programs are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP, "the match"). All applicants must be registered with the Match.
Note: Applicants may select programs, but cannot apply to ACGME-accredited residency programs before September 1st.
Prior to visiting the ERAS site, please review this page in its entirety.
Program Application Criteria
- The deadline for completed ERAS applications is 11/15/13. Complete applications include ECFMG certification for foreign medical school grads.
- We have 3 Categorical and 2 non-designated Preliminary openings this coming year.
- We do not sponsor foreign visa's or foreign work authorizations. These are not available for our residency positions. Applicants may work directly with ECFMG for J1 visas.
- Applicants invited to interview are required to pass their USMLE exams on the first attempt, with a 3 digit score of 230 or above and must have USMLE Step 2 passing score prior to starting R1 year even with COMLEX scores. COMLEX exams must be passed on first attempt, with a 3 digit score of 545 or higher and a 2 digit score of 85 or higher.
- You must have graduated from medical school no more than 5 years ago, regardless of intervening experience
- US clinical experience is preferred but not required.
Communications related to interview status will be available through the ERAS email only.
*Do not send additional materials unless requested!
Required Components of the ERAS Application
- Common Application (ERAS) - Only a completed online application will be reviewed.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- A Personal Statement
- Transcript from your medical school
- USMLE scores
- ECFMG certification (if applicable)
- Dean's letter from your medical school
Photo I.D. required only for those invited to interview
Our website www.swedish.org/generalsurgeryresidency provides this information and much more about our program.
Special Notes About Applications and Interviews
Personal interviews are requested of qualifying applicants and are offered starting in early November through early February. Occasionally, interviews are extended outside the usual interview season, if requested, due to special circumstances such as medical students who are in the area doing clinical sub-internships at other facilities, etc.
Our Interview Dates for 2013-2014
- November 7, 14, 21
- December 5, 12, 19
- January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
All applicants who have completed applications available on the ERAS system will be notified of status of their application through the ERAS email system as they are reviewed by the Program Director.
Those invited for an interview may send additional data to be added to their ERAS file to be used in consideration for candidacy. Copies of research and publications are not considered helpful pieces of information, but a more thorough curriculum vitae or additional letters of recommendation are considered useful.
Please Read: Frequently Asked Questions for more information.