General Surgical Residency Program
7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
For verifications, please contact Sandi Pettit by fax (above) or email.
Established in 1958, the 5 year ACGME accredited Swedish Medical Center General Surgery Residency Program
is based out of the medical center’s First Hill campus in downtown Seattle, Washington. The program is dedicated to quality surgical education in a large, urban, tertiary care, not-for-profit hospital setting, emphasizing a close collegiate relationship between attending surgeon and resident.
The program utilizes an apprenticeship/mentor model of training in which individual residents work closely with small groups of attending surgeons and emphasizes early operative exposure continuing throughout the five years. The program offers two types of positions:
The program fills five categorical positions per year, offering broad clinical experience in the diverse areas of general surgery as well as wide exposure to multiple surgical sub-specialties. Most recently, the program has achieved:
- Operative volumes for Chief Residents completing the program in 2017 within the 90th percentile for programs in the nation
- Sixty percent of residents pursue additional fellowship training
- As of its last site visit in 2010, Full Continued Accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Five PGY 1 Preliminary Surgery Residency positions are available per year. These one year positions are non-designated and available to any applicant seeking one year of surgical training prior to starting formal residency training in fields such as anesthesiology, radiology, or surgical specialties. As a resident in this program, you will experience:
- Extensive operative training with categorical residents, along with program specific requirements
- A robust, dynamic curriculum with active and engaged faculty
- Daily, weekly, and monthly didactic programs
Please visit our main site for more information on our program
Swedish Medical Center General Surgery Residency Program