First Hill/Ballard/Cherry Hill/Issaquah/Edmonds Campuses
Swedish was founded in 1910 by Dr. Nils Johanson, a surgeon, and a group of Seattle’s leading Swedish-born businessmen whose abilities and efforts had brought them success in this new land. What started as a 24-bed facility in a converted two-story apartment building evolved into the First Hill Campus, a 697-bed, not-for-profit medical center occupying 25 city blocks. Over the past 21 years, Swedish has added multiple campus sites:
•1992, Swedish merged with the 163-bed Ballard Community Hospital, which became the Ballard Campus.
•July 1, 2000, the 436-bed Providence Seattle Medical Center also became part of the Swedish system to become the Cherry Hill Campus.
•June 23, 2008, Swedish opened a new 11 floor, 84-patient bed Orthopedic Institute on the First Hill campus to provide the full spectrum of orthopedic care.
•Fall of 2010, Swedish and Stevens Hospital in Edmonds partnered to increase access to health care in South Snohomish County and enhance the quality of care and reduce costs in the community to become the Edmonds Campus.
•Fall of 2011, Swedish opened a new full service hospital in Issaquah. It initially opened with 80 beds with additional beds to be added in 2014.
•February 2012, Swedish and Providence Health & Services announced an affiliation to improve health care quality, access and affordability for residents in Western Washington.