Swedish Kids Symptom Checker
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) Dosage Table
|Cetirizine (Zyrtec) Dosage Table|
|Child's AGE (years)||2-6||6-12||12+||years|
|Liquid 5 mg/1 teaspoon (tsp)||½||1||2||tsp|
|Liquid 5 mg/5 ml||2.5||5||10||ml|
|Chewable 5 mg tablets||--||1||2||tablets|
|Tablets 10 mg||--||--||1||tablets|
Indications: Treatment of nasal or eye allergies, hives, itching and other allergic symptoms.
- AGE LIMITS: For allergies, don't use under 2 years of age (Reason: not FDA approved). For AGE 2 - 6 years, discuss with your child's doctor before using. For colds, not recommended at any age (Reason: no proven benefits).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's age in the top row of the dosage table.
- MEASURING the DOSAGE: Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medication. If not, medicine syringes are available at pharmacies. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Regular spoons are not reliable. Also, remember that 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- FREQUENCY: Give once daily in the morning.
- ADULT DOSAGE: 10 mg
- BRAND NAMES: Zyrtec, generic cetirizine
- ADVANTAGES: Causes less sedation than older antihistamines (Benadryl and chlorpheniramine) and is long-acting (lasts up to 24 hours).
- DISADVANTAGES: Doesn't control allergy symptoms as well as Benadryl or chlorpheniramine. Use Cetirizine mainly if drowsiness from Benadryl or chlorpheniramine interferes with function.
- COST: Use a generic or store brand of Cetirizine. Reason: Costs less than Zyrtec brand.
Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is designed especially for these times. The interactive iPhone application can help you make appropriate decisions on what level of care, if any, is needed and how to provide symptom relief for minor illnesses and injuries you can manage on your own.