Swedish Kids Symptom Checker
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) Dosage Table
|Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) Dosage Table|
|Child's weight (pounds)||12-17||18-23||24-35||36-47||48-59||60-71||72-95||96+||lbs|
|Infant Drops 50 mg/1.25 ml||1.25||1.875||2.5||3.75||5||--||--||--||ml|
|Liquid 100 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||½||¾||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tsp|
|Liquid 100 mg/5 milliliters (ml)||2.5||4||5||7.5||10||12.5||15||20||ml|
|Chewable 50 mg. tablets||--||--||2||3||4||5||6||8||tabs|
|Junior-strength 100 mg tablets||--||--||--||--||2||2½||3||4||tabs|
|Adult 200 mg. tablets||--||--||--||--||1||1||1½||2||tabs|
Indications: Treatment of fever and pain.
- AGE LIMIT: Don't use under 6 months of age unless directed by child's doctor. (Reason: safety not established and doesn't have FDA approval). Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age (FDA recommendations 1/2008).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's weight in the top row of the dosage table.
- MEASURING the DOSAGE: Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medication. If not, medicine syringes are available at pharmacies. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Regular spoons are not reliable. Also, remember that 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- IBUPROFEN DROPS: Ibuprofen infant drops come with a measuring syringe.
- FREQUENCY: Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed
- ADULT DOSAGE: 400 mg
- BRAND NAMES: Motrin, Advil, generic ibuprofen
Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is designed especially for these times. The interactive iPhone application can help you make appropriate decisions on what level of care, if any, is needed and how to provide symptom relief for minor illnesses and injuries you can manage on your own.