Dextromethorphan Dosage Table
|Dextromethorphan Dosage Table|
|Child's weight (pounds)||16-31||32-47||48-63||64-79||80-95||96-129||130+||lbs|
|Liquid 5 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||½||1||1½||2||2½||3||--||tsp|
|Liquid 5 mg/ 5 milliliters (ml)||2.5||5||7.5||10||12.5||15||--||ml|
|Liquid 7.5 mg/1 teaspoon (tsp)||--||--||1||1||1½||2||3||tsp|
|Liquid 7.5 mg/ 5 milliliters (ml)||--||--||5||5||7.5||10||15||ml|
|Liquid 10 mg/1 teaspoon (tsp)||--||--||--||1||1||1½||2||tsp|
|Liquid 10 mg/ 5 milliliters (ml)||--||--||--||5||5||7.5||10||ml|
Indication: Cough suppressant. Dextromethorphan (DM) is present in most cough syrups.
- AGE LIMIT: Don’t use under 4 years of age.
- Over 4 years of age: NOT recommended as primary treatment of cough. Use HONEY instead.
- Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age. (Reason: FDA recommendations 10/2008).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's weight in the top row of the dosage table.
- MEASURING the DOSAGE: Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medication. If not, medicine syringes are available at pharmacies. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Regular spoons are not reliable. Also, remember that 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- FREQUENCY: Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed
- ADULT DOSE: 20 mg
Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is designed especially for these times. The interactive iPhone application can help you make appropriate decisions on what level of care, if any, is needed and how to provide symptom relief for minor illnesses and injuries you can manage on your own.