Swedish Kids Symptom Checker
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) Dosage Table
|Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, etc.) Dosage Table|
|Child's weight (pounds)||20-24||25-37||38-49||50-99||100+||lbs.|
|Liquid 12.5 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||¾||1||1½||2||--||tsp|
|Liquid 12.5 mg/5 milliliters (ml)||4||5||7.5||10||--||ml|
|Chewable 12.5 mg||--||1||1½||2||4||tablets|
|Tablets 25 mg||--||½||½||1||2||tablets|
|Capsules 25 mg||--||--||--||1||2||caps|
Indications: Treatment of allergic reactions, nasal allergies, hives and itching.
- AGE LIMITS: For allergies, don't use under 1 year of age (Reason: it's a sedative). For colds, not recommended at any age (Reason: no proven benefits) and should be avoided if under 4 years old. Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age (Reason: FDA recommendations 10/2008).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's weight in the top row of the dosage table
- MEASURING the DOSAGE: Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medication. If not, medicine syringes are available at pharmacies. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Regular spoons are not reliable. Also, remember that 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- ADULT DOSAGE: 50 mg
- FREQUENCY: Repeat every 6 hours as needed
- CHILDREN’S BENADRYL FASTMELTS: Each fastmelt tablet contains the equivalent of 12.5 mg of Diphenhydramine HCL and dosed the same as chewable tablets.
Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is designed especially for these times. The interactive iPhone application can help you make appropriate decisions on what level of care, if any, is needed and how to provide symptom relief for minor illnesses and injuries you can manage on your own.