|Acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc. ) Dosage Table|| |
|Child's weight (pounds)||6-11||12-17||18-23||24-35||36-47||48-59||60-71||72-95||96+||lbs|
|Infant Drops 80 mg/0.8 ml||0.4||0.8||1.2||1.6||2.4||--||--||--||--||ml|
|Syrup: 160 mg/5 milliliters (ml)||1.25||2.5||3.75|| 5||7.5||10||12.5||15||20||ml|
|Syrup: 160mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||--||½||¾||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tsp|
|Chewable 80 mg. tablets||--||--||1½||2||3||4||5||6||8||tabs|
|Chewable 160 mg. tablets||--||--||--||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tabs|
|Adult 325 mg. tablets||--||--||--||--||--||1||1||1½||2||tabs|
|Adult 500 mg. tablets||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||1||1||tab|
Indications: Treatment of fever and pain.
- CAUTION: In May, 2011, a move to one standard concentration (160 mg/5 ml) of liquid acetaminophen medicine for infants and children was announced. Up until this point, there have been mainly 2 concentrations: 80 mg/0.8 ml (Infant Concentrated Drops) and 160 mg/5 ml (Children's Liquid Suspension or Syrup). During this transition period, both old and new concentrations of infant acetaminophen may be available on store shelves and in your home. Before selecting a dose, please check your infant package carefully to find the concentration. Then select the dosage according to the correct concentration and child's weight.
- AGE LIMIT: Don't use under 12 weeks of age unless directed by child's doctor. (Reason: Fever during the first 12 weeks of life needs to be documented in a medical setting and if present, your infant needs a complete evaluation). EXCEPTION: Fever starting within 24 hours of immunization if child is 8 weeks of age or older. Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age (Reason: FDA recommendations 1/2008).
- DOSAGE: Determine by finding child's weight in the top row of the dosage table.
- MEASURING the DOSAGE: Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medicine. If not, medicine syringes are available at pharmacies. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Regular spoons are not reliable. Also, remember that 1 level teaspoon equals 5 ml and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 ml.
- FREQUENCY: Repeat every 4-6 hours as needed. Don't give more than 5 times a day.
- ADULT DOSAGE: 650 mg
- BRAND NAMES: Tylenol, Feverall (suppositories), generic acetaminophen
- MELTAWAYS: Dissolvable tabs that come in 80 mg and 160 mg (jr. strength)
- SUPPOSITORIES: Acetaminophen also comes in 80, 120, 325 and 650 mg suppositories (the rectal dose is the same as the dosage given by mouth).
- EXTENDED-RELEASE: Avoid 650 mg oral products in children (Reason: they are every 8-hour extended-release)